Tenor horns not accepted at music colleges?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Miss Saxophone, Mar 31, 2012.

  1. Miss Saxophone

    Miss Saxophone New Member

    Without trying to bore you just a bit of background...

    I play tenor horn as my main instrument and wish to specialise in brass at college, I also play sax in a big band and really enjoy the jazz. I want to do a combined jazz and classical degree at music college but I dont think they accept Tenor horn players.

    I am learning french horn soon which could be a possibility for college but I dont know whether I would be good enough(i.e. grade 8 standard) by the time I got to college.

    so...Any advice for which Instrument or what to do? Thank you!
  2. TrumpetTom

    TrumpetTom Member

    I think at least some do, think RNCM does but not sure.
  3. LynneW

    LynneW Member

    A friend of mine is studying at The Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama, and Tenor Horn is his main instrument so they do there. Good luck
  4. Bayerd

    Bayerd Active Member

    Go to Salford.
  5. blue juice

    blue juice Member

    Are you after a proper music college or just a university with a strong music department?
  6. Miss Saxophone

    Miss Saxophone New Member

    I am looking for a proper music college, Leeds would be my preference as it is the only one I know of that does combined Jazz and classical courses :)
  7. blue juice

    blue juice Member

    RNCM, Royal Welsh and Birmingham Conservatoire accept tenor horn, not sure about combined jazz and classical courses but I assume that info would be in the prospectus or could be sourced through UCAS
  8. MoominDave

    MoominDave Well-Known Member

    Does specialising in the tenor horn tie in to what you want to professionally do with your degree a few short years down the line? A step back in order to pursue a different instrument might pay dividends in terms of increased opportunities later, quite apart from broadening your options in the shorter term.
  9. Miss Saxophone

    Miss Saxophone New Member

    I want to teach music with specialism in brass, I only play tenor horn currently and would like to do this in my degree. I am hoping to learn other brass instruments along the way but can't see getting good enough in the time I have (3 years) :)
  10. MoominDave

    MoominDave Well-Known Member

    Three years is a lot of time if you are starting from a position of knowing how to play one brass instrument already and if you apply yourself to the task. Easily enough to say, learn up the French horn to music college entry standard.

    It probably sounds like I am encouraging you to step away from the Eb horn; I'm not. I'm just making sure that you're aware of the possibilities; a lot of people want to study band instrument performance because it's what they know rather than because it's what will serve them best in the years ahead.
  11. mikelyons

    mikelyons Supporting Member

    I'd go with Dave on this. Keep your Tenor Horn as your main instrument, but, by all means, get yourself some French Horn skills. Why?Because it will open doors to some money-making opportunities later on and it will mollify the snobby types who think the Tenor Horn is not a 'proper' instrument.
  12. DaveR

    DaveR Active Member

    I am also a tenor horn player. When I went to 6th form, I was encouraged to take up the French Horn as it would widen my options at while studying music at university. I wasn't hugely keen, but I borrowed the college's ancient horn and managed to scrape grade 7 (with the bare minimum of practice! :oops:) by the time I left 6th form. So three years really would be plenty of time to do it, especially if you put in the hours.
  13. Cornet Nev.

    Cornet Nev. Member

    Just to add the other direction instrument wise, why not a trumpet? Not too difficult a move from tenor horn, and equally acceptable in orchestral circles as the French horn.
  14. euph1991

    euph1991 Member

    I'd stick with the tenor horn. There may not be plenty of opportunities to become a professional musician with it, but if you want to become a teacher specialising in brass - you need to get to somewhere like RNCM or Welsh College and be taught by the very best tenor horn players and then go for the PGCE Music with Specialist Instrumental Teaching course at RNCM/Manchester Met!

    Just a thought..... :)

Share This Page