Tenor horn second valve?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Fat_Bari, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Fat_Bari

Fat_Bari Member

I realise that this may be a strange request but a very good friend of mine recently had her round stamp horn serviced. When she got it back she noticed that the resistance had increased so much that it made almost imposable to blow. On close investigation she found that the horn had two third valves. She bought the horn second hand a long time ago and has played it for many years with great success. Is it possible to source a second valve for this instrument? She has already contacted the people that undertook the service to see if some other poor horn player now has two second valves.
  2. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

If prior to the service the instrument was OK, I feel that you may well be right that somewhere there is a horn with two second valves. In a busy workshop with maybe several instruments in bits, I can see that mistake being made. Though no excuse for it not being found before being returned.
  3. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

At the end of the day its just a horn ! Its not like the bands baritone section is harmed or compromised is it? Tell her to blow harder !

4. Fat_Bari

Fat_Bari Member

Fortunately she can blow it really hard Ian, she played it at the regionals at the weekend and no baritone players were harmed. As usual there was no mention of us in the remarks either.