Tenor Horn Recital

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ema_lou, Jun 21, 2006.

1. ema_lou

ema_lou New Member

Hey everyone,
    I have my horn recital next thursday :-? and whilst doing my A levels, kinda forgot about doing a programme and now im finding it very hard (impossible in fact) to find the background info on my pieces that I need. Has anybody done a horn recital with the same pieces as me or knows anything about them that could help? Im playing Cornucopia, Concertino, Mozart horn concerto and Variations on a Welsh Theme.
    Help please!

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hi Emma and :hi to tMP!

I've moved your thread into "the Rehearsal Room" which is the best place for a request like this. I hope you get some good pointers here soon.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

erm., which Mozart concerto is it? Is the Concertino by Gareth Wood?
  4. ema_lou

ema_lou New Member

yeah, its the shortened version though which is specifically for grade 8 associated board (thanks for moving my post as well woodenflugel!)
  5. ema_lou

ema_lou New Member

sorry and its the 4th horn concerto movements 2 and 3. the famous one!lol
  6. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Ermmm how much background can you give on a typical brass band tenorhorn piece? lol!

Ermm The theme of Welsh theme is watching the wheat?

And thats about all I know! :confused:

They're all good pieces though.. specially welsh theme and cornucoppia.. ooh and the concertino... (you should try the full version, it has an AMAZING cadenza) and the mozart is proper cheese! :tongue: Good programme! :biggrin:
  7. ema_lou

ema_lou New Member

lol thanks - i have got the full lenth version of concertino but couldnt be ***** to do it along with the rest lol cheers for the reply and i know what u mean - no background on any tenor horn pieces!lol
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- there's not a lot on the Concertino apart from what I found on the sleevenotes of the Black Dyke 'Concerto' CD (only mentioning that it is in one continuous movement with an extended cadenza in free time accom. by percussion and noting the 'threepenny opera' tune that makes it cheery!). It was performed by Sandy Smith.

Post-edit:- Some info. on the Kneale Variations from the Fairey 'Double Champions' CD. According to the source, it is based on the folk-song 'The Golden Wheat' and written in 1981. Opens with a simple statement of the theme and first vari. is a simple waltz leading to a lively scherzo treatment in a faster waltz tempo. Next is a wistful minor key variation with a central climax and short cadenza. The last vari. (in a major key) is in bright rhumba rhythm and drives the piece to a brilliant close. Soloist again is Sandy Smith.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  9. Feefee

Feefee Member

Hey i did variations and i put about that some of the tune is from "Watching the Wheat"! Hope that helps! Its the bit at the beginning!