Tenor Horn Pricing

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by catto09, Feb 19, 2009.

1. catto09

catto09 Member

Hey, i was wondering if anyone could estimate a price for three Courtois 180R Tenor horns. They're rarely used and all are in good working condition. What would be a rough price for these instruments?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Are you buying or selling?

3. catto09

catto09 Member

selling

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Then it depends on when & how much you paid for them, how much they have depreciated in value since then & how much they can be reasonably sold for against potential buyers buying new or competition alternatives. Simple way out is to get a brass instrument dealer to give you his/her quote and balance it out for private sale.

5. catto09

catto09 Member

Well, they're about 9 years old (bought with a grant latter part of 1999/2000)...and honestly, they all look pretty much untouched. They could do with a good clean, which will probably be done before sale.

All of the horn players we've had since we bought the horns have had their own horns - so there's not really been any reason to give them out...

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Questions ... if you sell the horns & one player leaves, what is the contingency plan? Keep the funds so a new horn can be bought for the replacement player?

7. catto09

catto09 Member

Ah, that's the thing...we've got several Sovereign Tenor horns, three of which were bought with a grant which bought the instruments the community band are using. Granite City Brass (known as UDI Band at the time) then Merged with Aberdeen City Brass, which brought us a further 3 sovereigns. Not sure where the last one came from though...

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would seriously ask someone like Ray Tennant at Band Supplies for a quote. If you think you can raise more cash privately, then work out how much they can be sold for against new horns (... about £1600 each I think).

9. catto09

catto09 Member

is that your guess for how much we could sell them for? New horns retail for around £2,000

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

That's the present (new) price I found online here. I wouldn't hazard to price them for you. Some brands don't sell (keep their value) as well as others.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Tenor Horn Pricing Hey
    Courtois 180R
    R Tenor horns
    Courtois
    rough price
  12. catto09

catto09 Member

ah, funnilly enough i couldn't find this when i searched for it...

13. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

£2500 tops for the three...less if you sell to a dealer...try ebay

14. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

£2500 is very much a tops. People have a strange mentality when buying used. If for a few quid more they can get new, you will get NO interest.

I sold a prototype horn (I cannot say the manufacturer's name, but it is a big name) that I showed at the North American Brass Band Association Championships a couple years back for $3900 (£2700). It was a wonderful tenor horn with a fourth valve. People kept coming by my booth and playing. Finally a gentleman said "How much?" and didn't even try to haggle he saw so many people playing it. He just gave me his credit card.

No for some reason, York and Besson instruments cost more in the UK than the US and they both are made in Germany.

Anyway, there is one possible solution besides asking a dealer (who will quote a trade-in value most of the time) and that is to search eBay.uk. You can search 6 months of previous sales. See if any have sold and if so, for how much, what condition, etc.

I also like the "Make an Offer" function on eBay. Say you ask £3000 and would take £2300. Someone might offer £2300 thinking they are getting a good deal and you got what you wanted -- usually both parties get a fair price.

My US 2 cents worth (worth about 1 pence).

Jim

15. Moy

Moy Active Member

No way will you get that much.
    I have been quoted £800 for my Sovereign which is newer and a better instrument. Best selling privately.

16. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Are you saying avoid eBay, or eBay is a form of selling privately? I consider eBay a place to sell "privately" that gives you a broad market.

Jim

17. Moy

Moy Active Member

No sorry didn't read all the posts go ahead with ebay.
    Might even try my sov on it.

18. catto09

catto09 Member

hmmm...maybe it's not worth even bothering? I'm sure they would serve as good learning instruments for the younger of our band...

19. Moy

Moy Active Member

Can ask Richard if he might be interested in buying for the Shire.
    Any idea on what price you're looking for?

20. catto09

catto09 Member

Hmmm, yeah, that is a thought. It will have to be raised as a committee before we start trying to sell, but probably in the region of £600-£700 i would imagine.

21. Moy

Moy Active Member

Will ask but don't think he'll pay that.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Tenor Horn Pricing Hey
    Courtois 180R
    R Tenor horns
    Courtois
    rough price