Tenor Horn Players

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Vickitorious, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I noticed that there haven't been any threads on 'favourite horn players'! So, being me, I thought I'd start one up! :D Anywayz---- My top 3 favourite horn players have got to be (not in any particular order):

Owen Farr (Faireys)
    Sandy Smith (Grimethorpe)
    Martin Armstrong (Fodens)

I have chosen these 3 because they are all top chaps and amazing players. Other reasons are:

I have been tutored by Owen Farr and Sandy Smith at NYBB and I thoroughly enjoyed being tutored by them both!!! :D :D

I had a training day with fodens and had to sit next to Martin Armstrong and his playing was brill!!! :shock: It was a great laugh and I really enjoyed the day!! :lol: :D

So, horn players out there who's your favourite??? :D
  2. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I aint a horn player but i'll add to the thread :D

Owen Farr is just awesome.
    Melvyn Bathgate of B&R- awesome player (did a concert with him every year and the guy is just fantastic)- Really great guy too.

Sheona White has to be up there though. You aint solo Horn with YBS for nowt :D
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

i used to play the horn (and am begginning to miss it) so ill add!!

I have three: Sheona White
    Owen Farr
    Lesley Howie

i done massed band concerts with YBS and Dyke and Sheona White was our tutor when i was on 1st and 2nd horn and when i got to principle horn Lesley howie was our tutor. And as well as being really nice they helped us with the pieces really well and having been sat behind them it gave us chance to hear how amazing they play too i think they are both top
    and owen farr because he is just amazin!!
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

didn't think you had to be a player of a certain instrument to have a favourite player in that instrument?! :shock:
    :wink: (i do play tenor horn though!)

Anyway, I havent heard tooooo many t.h soloists, but I have heard Sheona White and Donna Lewis! :D so they must be my favourite! :lol:
  5. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

I have to agree with you about Donna (otherwise she would beat me up!!),
    Donna is an excellent player and I have just written her a new solo called Arabesque. She should be more well known in the band world!!

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

here here!
  7. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Gordon Higginbotham, a really nice guy as well and Sheona White
  8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

im sure there has already been a thread on this :p:p
    but anyway :p

Owen Farr (great mate, and my old teacher, technically the best in the land)
    Sheona White (Fantastic player and current teacher :) I sit next to her, and she'll beat me up otherwise ;))
    Sandy Smith (another fantastic player and old teacher :D)
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I was trying to find it as well :!: - might have been when tenor horn solos were discussed.

Having heard both Owen Farr and Sheona White in recent months they have got to be up there with the best, together with Lesley Howie. I've also just been listening to Gordon Higginbottom's recording of "September Song", however, and I think his smooth tone, although perhaps lighter than some current players, puts him at the top of the pile for me.
  10. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

I think the best horn players at the moment are:

Sheona White
    Sandy Smith
    Melvin Bathgate
    Owen Farr

Billy Rushworth was an excellent player as was Gordon Higginbottom.

Cheers! :guiness
  11. dave aston who sits bottom horn and Besses (and has sat on just about every other seat in the band too!) can parp away forever. he's got more random tricks up his sleeve than a magician :lol:
  12. asteria

asteria Member

Afraid i'm gonna have to agree with Aidan on this one (great minds think alike eh :wink: ) and say -

Owen Farr (my current teacher, ridiculously good technique which has to be heard to be believed, i really didn't think some of that stuff was possible!!)
    Sheona White (former teacher, real style and a gorgeous sound)
    Sandy Smith (best all-rounder)

I really couldn't put any one above the others but for me these 3 are a class above the rest.

I've heard most of the top horn players, with the exception of Martin Armstrong who i'm told is excellent. Leah Williams at Sellers is also a phenomenal player and one to watch out for.
  13. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Well I think Helen Varley deserves a mention! The Eb Horn Champion yey! And not even a music student. And very very very modest. And an amazing player! Pure class. Yey!
  14. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

mine has gotta be martin armstrong!! :wink: but solo horn at sellers leah williams deserves a mention because she is an ace player and a top lass aswell!!!! :lol:
  15. jd

jd Member

t horns

Being a flugel player who has sat next to many players, It would be a tough decision. Armstrong has the sound and the musicality (and big *****), farr is just sexy all round (with no probs). Howie has the ***** and knows how to lead a section ( i should know) and white has done more for the t. horn than any other, and is a great teacher.

What can you say. Give them all an MBE.

John Doyle. xxxxxx

Edited: (RT)
  16. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I haven't met too many infamous tenor horn players, but the names John Thomas (studied at Salford I belive, but an Aussie) and Emma Motterally (girl I went to school with, Juvenile National champion on more than one occassion) really stick out.

Oh by the way, I'm including a quote from an Australian Brass Band forum regarding tenor horn players. It's not totally on topic, but I think it says soooo much!!

The forum can be found at http://www.geocities.com/queenslandband/queenslandbands.html

17. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

they don't have much reportoire in oz do they ;)
  18. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

sometimes it feels that way.......... :D
  19. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Lesley Howie, Sheona White and Owen Farr are the one's i've heard of. (Only because i'm a mad eupher, rather than a horn player, so I haven't heard of many)

I think they're all brilliant, especially Owen Farr who seems to be the best horn player around at the moment (no disrespect to other's opinions- i'm a eupher!)
  20. BobRalston

BobRalston Member

Phillip Harper, better known now as MD at Flowers and as a composer/arranger was (is?) a cracking horn player. Does anyone know if he still plays at all?