Tenor Horn Mouthpiece for a beginner?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by angdeeoompahpah, Feb 9, 2011.

1. angdeeoompahpah

angdeeoompahpah New Member

I've just started tenor horn lessons & I'm really enjoying playing.
    I asked my teacher about mouthpieces & she said the one I have on my tenor horn,which is a Weril,was fine-however I've been reading a lot in forums & on the web generally that different mouthpieces can make a difference to playing.I know practice,practice,practice is the best way to improve but I'd like to try a different mouthpiece as I'm not totally convinced by the one that came with my instrument.
    Is there a good mouthpiece that anyone can recommend?
    I'm a total novice so any help or advice would be much appreciated :)
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

There is no simple answer, as people are always searching for the perfect mouthpiece. I know I have. Some will say, find one and stick with it. Others try lots. Your best bet would be go to a shop and try a few. Try a Dens Wick, maybe a size 2, or 3.
  3. angdeeoompahpah

Thank you :) That seems to be the one I've heard most about.I think a trip to the shops to try it out might be the best way forward.
  4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

with being a beginner I would stick with what came with the instrument. If you are learning with a Band you may change to a different instrument. before you finnish your beginner status. (we never stop learning) and you could be spending money for no good reason. Wait a while, see where you finnish up before decieding on a new peice of equiptment. As a beginner I started on a cornet, moved to a Baritone then a Euphonium before ending up on Eb Bass. I was on a cornet about a month Baritone a couple of Years, Euphonium a couple of Years and Eb Bass since 1975.
  5. angdeeoompahpah

Again,good advice.I'm going to the music shop anyway as I want to pick up some books my teacher suggested,I might have a look at the different mouthpieces then maybe ask my teacher before I purchase.Thank you :)
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Don't be tempted away from the Tenor Horn. Other instruments only exist to show how great the tenor horn is.
  7. Blower

Blower Member

The wrong mouthpiece can make or break someone starting out, as does the wrong instrument. Don't be afraid to question your teacher. That said, unless you put the time in with practice it's easy to blame the hardware!
  8. Mello

Mello Member

Re Tenor horn Mouthpieces

May I suggest from one who has had many years of playing & teaching at the highest level, that one very good rule, is to play the largest mouthpiece you can.

Obviously, there are variations, but a Denis Wick 2 is a really well accepted mouthpiece for T/horn. See if you can scrounge or borrow one for a while.

Cheers, and persevere.
  9. John_D

John_D Member

same advice that I was given many years ago on a banding weekend at Gunton Hall ;)
  10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

The Alliance range of mouthpieces are a good choice too.
  11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

This is not dangerous advice to give to a horn player, as the largest available mouthpieces are not actually that large relative to the size of the instrument. However, it is possible to send an impressionable lower brass player's sound concept well astray with it. There are many young trombonists out there, particularly in the US, who have developed a dull and unresonant sound concept due to playing on too large equipment... We've resisted emulating them so far, and I hope we can continue to do so.
  12. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Total agreement...the post of the year.:clap:
  13. organ grinder

organ grinder New Member

I agree with Mello.I have years of experience at a high level on tenor horn and in my oppinion the Wick no 2 being the largest of the wick range creates a more mellow tone and with practice better intonation.Walter Hargreaves always said Buckets are best therefore if you persevere with the wick no 2 you can,t go far wrong.
  14. angdeeoompahpah

I am completely in love with my Tenor Horn-nothing will tear us apart!!!