Tenor Horn Mouthpiece advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigcol, Nov 18, 2006.

1. bigcol

bigcol Member

I have a solo horn playerwho uses a Dennis Wick 2 mouthpiece - I'm looking for some advice as to the suitability of the mouthpiece - I'm looking to help the player have a fuller, bigger sound and would like to know if the knowledgable horn players on here think it is a suitable mouthpiece to use, before going onto the other aspects of note production.

As a bass or trombone player I haven't a clue about TH mouthpieces!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

As with any instrument, choice of mouthpiece depends on the player and how they support production and embouchure. No easy answer here as there has been a tendency for players to use bigger & deeper cupped mouthpieces over the last couple of decades. There are other alternatives to Wick that are bigger (as shown here as an example) but most tend to use DW.
  3. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

The 'ususal' is DW 3 mouthpiece. A 2 will give a bigger, fuller, sound. But is harder work. I used to play on a 2, now I play on a 3. Well I'm soooo busy, I don't have as much time to practice! ;)
  4. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

I found a DW 2 to be the best for me, harder work at first but gives a good full, strong sound.
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

I changed from a DW3 to a DW2 about this time last year. For me, it gives a far bigger sound and it's a lot easier in the bottom registers... but as you say, mouthpieces are a very personal choice...!
  6. bigcol

bigcol Member

Ok ta for the feedback, so a '2' is ok. Bit like on Eb bass then ;) Small world.

Thank you TMP'ers.
  7. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I've used a 2 for years, but I'm finding that a bit small at the moment. An alternative I've tried is a Josef Klier mouthpiece. These have humungous backbores, however, which it took me ages to get used to. With dedication and time to work with them, they definitely "do the job".:clap:
  8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

but not too personal as we are really only given 3 choices of mainstream mouthpieces :)
    the DW2 is the most common, technically giving the opportunity to create the fullest sound, altho the fattest noise I've heard on a horn was someone who played on a DW5!

edit: by the way there are plans for a new mouthpiece to be introduced along with the new yamaha horn, which will be interesting to try.
  9. HBB

HBB Active Member

That's true Aidan! lol... I suppose you could venture into Vincent Bach mouthpieces!
  10. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Practice that is all you can do. A nice sound takes years to develop ask our depping 2nd cornet player - beautiful sound.