Tenor Horn help, please

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tom the Tenor, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Tom the Tenor

Tom the Tenor New Member

Following about a year's delay following significant hearing loss to an ear I eventually began learning to play Tenor Horn in the last two months or so. It has been great and I have managed to practice almost every day on all but on one or two days and I am very encouraged. I have been learning from the First Division Band Book 1 for Cornet/Trumpet. I should like to ask advice please for what tutor book should I go for next, please? Should I try and locate a First Divison Band Book 2 in the UK/Ireland which seems to be difficult or what about the more readily available Look Listen and Learn for Tenor Horn Books 1, 2 & 3 or the Boosey E flat Band Instruments Methods 1 & 2.

Thank you for any suggestions and greetings from Cork, home of Butter Exchange Brass & Reed Band!

2. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Can't see far past the Arban: Cornet Method for getting back into the swing of things. It's got everything you need!
  3. worzel

worzel Member

Not that I know anything about anything, but the most important thing is practise, no matter the source. If, as I suspect, you're a "do it by the numbers" sort of person, then maybe playing a few tunes by ear might be more beneficial than another method book. But as Masterblaster jnr said, you can't really go wrong with the Arban.
  4. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Take a look at Matt Kingston's Ultimate Cornet Method www.bigshinybrass.com/cornetmethod lots of graded classic tunes to get you moving on. Buying as a download is easy, then you just print off the pages you need as you want them.
  5. conductor

conductor New Member

The Salvation Army Instrumental tutor is a good start I learned using it and good old Hymn Tunes,.
    You can't progress on practice alone and so would also advise a learners band tro play with.
  6. simonium

simonium Member

Apart from advice on warming up and down, and could do with a less perfunctory section on flexibilities. It could also do with sections on low and high register playing. Apart from that definitive - and you'll learn all there is to know about grupettos and turns, mordents, shakes and trills. Allen Vizzutti's Trumpet Method(s) seem to fit the bill better and cover things such as odd time signatures which the Arban, mysteriously, doesn't. The Arban is useful, but I have one out of obligation rather than genuine enthusiasm. The Vizzutti gets used very regularly however.
  7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

True, but for someone who's just starting to try to get back into playing i doubt being able to play in 7/8 and 13.5/16 will be of most use :p And, as far as warm ups go, you maybe not, but a lot of people i know, including some of the top soloists use arban exercises to warm up/warm down.
  8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Just take bits from both. The Arban was written for a different generation of player playing very different repertoire.