Tenor Horn cup mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brenda, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Brenda

Brenda Member

I'm looking to buy a cup mute for my horn. It will need to affect the sound characteristics only negligibly - the aim is to fool adjudicators into thinking that I can play "open" music very...very...very quietly (sshhhh)...
    Any advice on which make is best? Thanks.

2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

No advice on make because any mute will change the sound of the instrument - that's what they're designed to do, and a horn with a cup mute is never going to sound anything like an open one played quietly.
    If you want to reduce volume try a silent mute, turn so your bell's pointing right away from the adjudicator, or just keep working on it.....

3. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

Fool the adjucticators :) don't think that is going to happen. There is a National comp coming up next month in my area, i'd love some of those mutes aswell ;)

Have you considered speaking with the traders at the trades stands at certain competitions. Those that sell mutes & instruments and ask them what course of action they would take on making what you need happen.

I know there is a well known Tenor horn player normally on the Yamaha trade stand, maybe you could ask her for her tips and Experience on the affect of "sound characteristics" that you need.

I wish you luck.

4. Gareth G Proctor

Gareth G Proctor New Member

You could always try a tenor trombone cup mute, it may give the desired effect.

5. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

A tenor trombone mute would be the nearest fit - I've certainly never heard of (or seen composers/arrangers call for) cup mutes for instruments other than cornets/trumpets and trombones.

Whether it gives the desired effect or not is another matter... remember that a cup mute has a straight mute at its core - a bucket mute might give a more muffled sound without the 'buzz' that comes with a cup (or straight) mute.

Alternatively, practise long notes - really long! - at varying dynamics. Not very exciting to practise, I know, but great for tone quality as well as control - think of it as your weetabix :)

6. Brenda

Brenda Member

I saw some big, black, buckety cup mutes being used to good effect at the weekend. Any suggestions as to the make? I really really want one.

7. Mattytheshark

Mattytheshark Member

My girlfriend is a horn player and she has a bass trombone practice mute so perhaps bass trom mutes fit best in a horn??? Not sure this is the way forward to con the adjudicator though. Cup mute will never sound open - it's not supposed to.

8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It's a tenor horn! They are naturally quiet, playing them loud is what requires help.

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Ask the band you saw using them?

As a general rule, tenor trombone mutes fit horns and bass trombone mutes fit baris, but obviously different brands, bore size etc will affect fit. I still think a muted horn will sound like a muted horn... but maybe its worth going along to a shop/trade stand and playing with some different ones to compare the effects.

10. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Our horn section has a set of Tenor Horn Cups.

They are Peter Gane ones.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Tenor Horn
    Wallace Collection
    Brenda
    buckety cup mutes
  12. Brenda

Brenda Member

Are they big and black?

13. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Tenor Trombone Straight & Cup mutes are too small for modern Tenor Horns.
    I know Dennis Wick Straight & Cup Bass Trombone mutes WILL fit Tenor Horns.

Mark H.

14. Brenda

Brenda Member

The ones I saw used at the weekend didn't look like Wick. They looked kind of wooden. The cup bit was deep, like a bucket, but they were definitely cup mutes.

15. Gareth G Proctor

Gareth G Proctor New Member

When you say they looked kind of wooden, are you referring to the mute or the players?

16. worzel

worzel Member

Maybe for many, but I have real difficulty playing quietly, and can play very loudly without undue effort.

17. worzel

worzel Member

I've got a Silent Brass mute for tenor and bass trombone, and a Dennis Wick straight mute. I can't remember if the straight mute was for treble or bass mute, though. Neither sounds the same as playing quietly.

18. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Yes with deep cups.

19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Blimey! You must be the only one. We have 5 horns and I have to stop playing to hear if they are playing anything!

20. Toby

Toby Member

They will have been Peter Gane mutes. I think Unison music make them now.

21. Brenda

Brenda Member

Just googled Peter Gane horn cup mutes. Gerry Birch sell them for £85.
    That's a lot of cash to kit out a section but hey, if that's what we have to do to even things up so be it. Be just typical if "the powers" outlaw mute cheating just as our new weapons are delivered though!:-?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Tenor Horn
    Wallace Collection
    Brenda
    buckety cup mutes