Tenor Horn Cleaning

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by angdeeoompahpah, Feb 21, 2011.

1. angdeeoompahpah

angdeeoompahpah New Member

I've just given my tenor horn a thorough clean & having put the valves back into their chambers,I'm having some difficulty hitting certain notes,particularly the lower ones.
    The valves are in the correct chambers-they are numbered-so I know that isn't the problem,which one of my friends suggested may be the issue.Could it be that I haven't lined them up properly?I thought if they weren't lined up I wouldn't get any sound out of the instrument,but I'm wondering if perhaps it can also affect the pitch.
    Any ideas?

2. LynneW

LynneW Member

it might sound silly but are the valve caps loose at all. That can cause note problems but not sure if it would be certain notes.

3. pbirch

pbirch Member

what might have happened is that that felt or cork bumpers on the valves have either swollen up or become compressed and the holes in the valves are not quite lining up correctly, they will need to be replaced, and next time make sure they are removed before you clean the valves

4. catto09

catto09 Member

Always worth pushing a stream of water (probably from a shower hose) through the instrument to make sure there isn't any gunk that got dislodged and is blocking some of the tubing. Check all the ports on the valves, and then the tubings connected to the valves, to make sure there isn't any lumps of gunk stuck in there. You'd be surprised what can still be in there...

5. Pyman71

Pyman71 Member

Sound advise. I had a similar problem with my euph and someone suggested the hose-pipe and to my horror a marble sized lump of verdi-grease flew out of the bell. I played merry H***l with the MD as it was a reasonably new band instrument.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Double check your valve alignments too - they could be slightly off if any of the guides are worn or there's something up with any of the felts/corks... and at least one model (Maestro) is cunningly designed so each valve can go in two different ways!