Tenor Horn air problems

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Masterblaster jnr, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Hi all,

I've recently started noticing that if i play any notes above an F (top line), my sound gets overpowered by the sound of air. My current slow solo (An Untold Story) ends on a top Bb and whenever i play it it sounds horrible because of the air.

I have checked my mouth and it's not escaping out of the corners of my mouth, and when i play a top Bb, withdraw the note but keep blowing, i can still hear the air.

Is it just the natural way instruments work where you blow air through and it's audible, or am i doing somehting wrong???

2. ydna36

ydna36 Member

It shouldn't sound like that.

If your sure the air isn't escaping out your mouth, it sounds like it must be escaping out some other part of the instrument. Check all water keys (and corks) to make sure there isn't a gap somewhere.

Andrew

3. Masterblaster jnr

i tried that and it's the same. the airy sound is coming out of the bell :S. i think i must be blowing the notes wrong or something

4. Is your mouth too big for the mouthpiece??

5. Masterblaster jnr

dunno, dont think so. on a DW 3 its better, but less easy to play

6. ydna36

ydna36 Member

hmm... not too sure,

maybe practising long tones for the net few days might help clear it up?

i had a similar problem years ago when changing mouthpiece, and it seemed to do the trick

Andy

7. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

If you are concerned about the problem, and as you have posted here you must be. Then IMHO you would be better served in making contact with a player you respect/admire and have a 1-1 lesson.

It will serve you a lot better than the generic but well intentioned advice anyone could offer on here.

8. Masterblaster jnr

well surely solo horn at faireys isn't a bad person o listen to :).

Thanks Andy, i'll give it a try

9. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

An ideal person indeed, But I am sure even he would prefer to see/hear you on a 1-1 basis to be able to give you best advice/course of action.

10. Masterblaster jnr

could me starting multiphonics be a cause???

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    air problems
    An Untold Story
    Tenor Horn
    all
    F
  12. HornMaster

HornMaster Member

I'd agree with Andy that long note practise in that register may help you out - perhaps you're tightening your lips too much on the note rather than letting the air flow freely.

The mouthpiece size may be a factor as well. I've found that high notes sound fuller and less strained on a larger one once you've become used to it. I use a DW2 and recently tried an Alliance (not sure which size but was definitely smaller) but went back to the Wick as the sound was thinner and my lip tended to go quicker when playing high.

13. ydna36

ydna36 Member

good point vegasbound. Its hard to really tell whats going unless you see it for yourself.

anyhow, stick with simple long tones for a few days, and perhaps keep the practice nice an easy for these days, so that it's not tired lips that are the problem. and that should clear it up. You probably just need to get the lips vibrating freely and this is the best way to do it.

(perhaps staying off the multiphonics might help, lol)

Andy

14. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Sounds like you are supping too much ale...try shandy for 6 months.

15. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

:eek: :rolleyes:

16. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Are you coming to YYBB next weekend? If so, you know who you can talk to about it. He'll help.
    Alex