tenor horn advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Snowcoveredheart, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Snowcoveredheart

Snowcoveredheart New Member

Im new to the forums, so first off, hi!

I used to play Horns (tenor as first choice and flugel in school band) way back from infants through to uni when life meant that I stopped. Im looking to start again so want to grab myself a good sounding but not too expensive horn to unrust myself on with the idea of eventually hooking up with a band again.

so basicly, the question is:

Ive forgotten everything about what is what in the world of horns. I used to play a Soverign and I loved it, but its a little steep of my current price range. So, I guess im looking for recommendations for a nice mid ground, at least to get me started!
  2. eanto

eanto Member

Hi, with (seemingly) ever depleating numbers in bands, I think there would possibly be a spare, and lonely!, horn available to borrow at your local band(s)? I'm sure you'd be made very welcome!
  3. Snowcoveredheart

oh? that never crossed my mind as an option! My first horn was a loan from the school and then one day I was just handed the soverign by my music teacher (it belonged to the band I played in) but I guess I just figured that adult bands would require you to have your own.
  4. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Nope - I use my bands sov horn.

I volunteered to play horn to fill a gap, after we had an influx of willing front row cornet players, and I wouldn't sell my cornet 'cause its a fantastic instrument. I was only able to move sections by borrowing a band instrument as I didn't have my own horn.

If it ends up being a permanent swap I might get my own instrument. Enjoying horn a lot more than cornet at the moment - not really a happy front row player for many reasons.
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

The main one being having to look directly at your trombone section ;) (well, not Ian of course!)
  6. yank67

yank67 Member

But she now has to sit in front of us smelly basses:wink:
  7. jenpd

jenpd New Member

You can easily find a local band through the Brass Band Portal website. I started playing again after a break of 25 years (is that a record?) and joined the local town band who were advertising for players in the local rag. They had a full set of brand new instruments courtesy of the lottery fund. I always fancied playing the euphonium and got a brand new Sovereign still in its wrapper! Admittedly I was rubbish at first but quickly got back into the swing and was playing solo euph within a few months. (They were a non-competing band!)
    If you're serious about taking it up again - go for it; I'm sure you'll be made most welcome.
  8. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

Think enato has the best advice, seek a local band i'm sure they’ll some sort of training band where you could pick yourself up again. Most bands do have instruments to lend out all you may have to pay for is insurance. You will most likely be reunited with a sovereign.
  9. Snowcoveredheart

thanks all! Ive made a poke with a local band and will pop down and see them friday and see what happens from there! heres hoping!
  10. eanto

eanto Member

Go for it, you know it makes sense!! Hope it works out.

Maybe an opportunity to try a different instrument perhaps?

Although the tenor horn is god's instrument:rolleyes:
  11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

2nded. Maybe he'd be willing to have a go at producing a decent model..
  12. eanto

eanto Member

Unfortunately, his talents can only stretch so far.....