Tell me about this trombone - B&H 400

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by P76, Mar 26, 2012.

1. P76

P76 New Member

G'Day All,

I've been offered by a lady at my work, her son's trombone, for possible purchase for our band. All she knows is she bought it second-hand about 10 years ago.

Now I've had a look at it, it's got me confused - on the bell it has B&H 400 Boosey & Hawkes. On the slide it says Taiwan.

Can someone tell me a little more about this instrument - I was unaware that Boosey had instruments made in Taiwan (I'm assuming by Jupiter?).

What I really need to know is a price range - I'm assuming it's an entry level instrument? Any known issues? It seems in good shape to me, but them I'm a cornet player ;) so what would I know....

Any help appreciated!

(Creswick Brass Band, Victoria, Australia)
  2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I just googled it and see one for sale UK Pounds 89.99 about A$150.00 - A$160.00 ish.
    I did see one on ebay , also UK and starting bid was UK Pounds 35.00 about A$60.00. But that was a starting bid.
    Hope thats a help.

Just a note. UK prices are alway a bit cheaper than we end up paying here in Aus.
  3. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

B&H certainly did have instruments made in Taiwan for the 400 range - I've seen cornets which were of the Jupiter type at that time. Some were also made in the USA - both of these were better than the standard East European 400s.
    I haven't seen the Taiwan made trombones but would assume they are a safe bet under £100.
  4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I had a B&H 400 Trumpet as a kid. It did the job up to about grade 4, after that, the valves were to sluggish. Still in my mum's loft I think.....
  5. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

I had a 400 trumpet as a Kid too B**** awful thing the valves were horrendous to the point of it being unplayable. The tone was not special and thank goodness I had my 600 cornet