Telford School Brass Band Receives Invite To School Prom Concert Series

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by masefield, Aug 1, 2007.

1. masefield

masefield Member

The Senior Brass Band (sponsored by Dalvie Storage Systems) from the Abraham Darby School, Madeley, Telford are celebrating after the School received an invitation to attend at the Music for Youth Schools Proms Concert on Tuesday 13th November where they will perform on the stage of the world famous Royal Albert Hall, London during the second night of the Annual Schools Prom Concerts that are organised by Music for Youth. The Brass Band will commence the evening concert with the playing of a Fanfare from the lofty position of the Gallery and then conclude the first half of the Proms Concert, with their onstage concert performance.

Overall the School has been honoured to have received an invitation to attend the Schools Proms Concert Series five times, two of which were in consecutive years 2002 and 2003, in the last seven years and this year’s appearance for the Brass Band follows on from their excellent performance where they were awarded the Highly Commended Award, having just been narrowly edged out of the top prize by Wardle High School in the National Festival of the Schools Brass Band Section held in the Birmingham Symphony Hall in July. This invitation is the first time that the Brass Band has received the prestigious invitation to attend the Schools Proms Concert Series and represents a tremendous achievement.

The Schools Proms take place over three nights on 12, 13 and 14 November 2007 and a total audience of over 15,000 over the three nights will be treated to every kind of music ranging from boy-bands to near professional orchestras. The exuberance, skills and talent of these gifted young performers will reach a climax each evening with a spine-tingling finale of fireworks, balloons and the traditional and well known Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1. The School Proms Concerts are hosted by Richard Stilgoe, the composer Howard Goodall and Classic FM presenter Lisa Duncombe.

A spokesperson from the school commented that the School were still celebrating the receipt of the invitation and that this was evident of the hard work of the Brass Band and in particular the School’s former Director of Performing Arts, Simon Platford who had accomplished these two remarkable achievements in a very short period of time following the departure of the previous Band’s Musical Director. It was hoped that now the Brass Band had achieved this prestigious invitation that it would result in further national prizes and awards in the new academic year and into the future.
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Congratulations to all at Abraham Darby on the achievement, especially little Abigail, I know her dad's so proud. ;)

BTW, we'll see you there! Both of my two will be there with the John Cleveland College and I'm really looking forward to the evening, as I am sure you are too. :biggrin:
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Abigail's Dad is very proud. BUT!!!! a little fed up of her telling me what its like to have played in the Symphony Hall, and possibly also going to the Albert Hall. talk about a wind up merchant!!!!

Anyway, back on topic!, i was ever so pleased to see that the band are going, they worked extremely hard on Images for Brass to bring it up to the standard they did. they should all be very proud of What they have achieved. Well done Guys.

Hope to see you there Ma!!!:tup:tup
  4. Rustonw

Rustonw Member

Congratulations to everyone in ADS Brass Band, this in a long overdue invitation to play at the schools Proms.

I'll be there!

Well Done

Previous Musical Director.