Telford band prepares for third visit to world stage

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by masefield, Jan 3, 2009.

1. masefield

masefield Member

Members of the Abraham Darby Academy Showband, Madeley, Telford, Shropshire are celebrating after receiving confirmation that they have been accepted to attend an international prestigious international music event in July 2007.

At the end of July they will travel to Kerkrade, Holland to participate in the World Music Contest, which will see them participate in the Second Division of the Harmony Band Division for the third consecutive time in a division which contains adult bands from around the world. This visit to Holland represents their third consecutive visit to the World Music Contest having returned in 2001 and 2005 with a Gold Medal in the second division of the Harmony classification.

In previous Contests the Showband had been the sole representative from the Borough and the Country in this particular division in Kerkrade and builds on the foundations that have been established within this country and is now growing within Europe and worldwide. The participation at this event reflects the international reputation of the Academy as the Showband were the only representatives from this country at the New York International Wind Band Festival in March 2007 where they scored the highest ever average score for a band at the Festival and as a result they have been invited to perform at the Showpiece Evening Concert in the Carnegie Hall in March 2010. At this year’s Contest in Kerkrade the Borough is privileged to be represented by the Abraham Darby Academy Showband for the third consecutive time and also the Burton Borough School Concert Band with their first attendance at this event.

To raise funds for this prestigious event the Academy is hosting a Grand Charity Concert with the Cory Brass Band, who are the current number one ranked brass band in the world on the 7th February 2009 at TCAT, Wellington commencing at 7.30 pm. Tickets are priced at £10 and £8 Concessions and are available from the Supporters of Music at Abraham Darby Academy (SMADA) on 07798 843458 and 01952 400686.

Rachel Morton the Academy’s Head of Music said “that the whole academy is extremely proud and honoured to be invited to participate at this event for the third consecutive time and I hope that this pride is reflected within the borough and that I know that all the band members will be extremely good ambassadors not only for themselves, the school, town and also their country. A variety of fundraising events will be held in the near future and further details can be obtained from the Academy Band’s web site”
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

That's great! The WMC is a fantastic event. Do you already know what weekend you wil be playing? I will probably be going to listen to a couple of the contests, when we don't have rehearsals ourselves (we are playing in the last weekend, 1-2 August)
  3. masefield

masefield Member

Hi there
    Thanks for the response - we are hoping to hear soon but we have asked for the weekend of 18th/19th July 2009. I'll let you know as soon as we hear.
  4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi Jan, i hope you can make it, perhaps we can meet up, as I'll be there supporting this amazing showband
  5. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Hope you have a wonderful time - I went over with Kennington (Oxford) band many years ago and can still remember marching around the stadium with around 27000 people shouting and cheering! Off course we just did the usual uncomplicated march, but to see the marching bands and their routines was marvellous! We were fortunate, too, to play in the test piece section and even luckier to have been hosted by players from a band in Holland. An experience never to be forgotten - but I really can't go into the nitty-gritty, which involved getting back from a do on the night, on a bike, in a tight frock, and something about commandos... ;)
  6. masefield

masefield Member

Hi there - I have just received the confirmation that we will be playing in the Concert Second Division on the 19th July. Hope that you will be able to hear the band perform.