Television appearances

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by dickyg, Aug 28, 2006.

1. dickyg

dickyg Member

I was just watching Murphy's Law on BBC 1 and I kept thinking that one of the characters, a young Asian drug dealer looked familiar then when I looked at the credits,I realised that I had taught him at secondary school!

How wierd was that experience?

Anybody else ever seen someone they know randomly appear on their TV screen?

It's a strange experience to say the least
  2. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

When I was very little (about 5) there were two boys in my year who were twins. One day we were watching Casualty and their dad was in it! Also, a little boy I know has downs syndrome and he appeared on the cbeebies show 'something special' with his mum. That was cute!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A student during my uni. years suddenly appeared on the box .... Nicky Campbell!
  4. cookie2

cookie2 Member

My brother works for T4 and keeps randomly popping up dressed in a silly costume or with his head superimposed onto someone else's body. Quite freaky really, because when they put him in a dress he looks like me :eek:

Actually, I ought to amend that before anybody makes a sarcy comment....

... He looks like I might if I was ever to wear a dress. ;)
  5. ratley

ratley Member

GBH turned up on a blood donor advert - along with his very shiny Eb bass!!!!
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yep, me. :) I used to pop up on telly quite often. Always in police shows, including Murphy's Law. James Nesbitt sucks his thumb. ;)
  7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ooh!! Are you in the latest one?!?!? I've sky+'d the first episode, waiting to record the second before I watch them both together!! (Yes, I know it's a three parter!)
  8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

No, too far to go now I've moved. Did a Sky documentary a couple of months ago because it was fairly local and the money was right. ;)
  9. T Winch

T Winch Member

Our whole band appeared in an advert for the National Lottery a few years back
  10. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

And who says education is going down the pan?

Funnily enough, a few of the kids from my old school have featured on crimewatch.
  11. I went to school with Alex Carter who used to play Lee Hunter in Hollyoaks and is now playing Jamie in Emmerdale.

AND (this is the beauty.....) when I was about 14 I went to a bonfire in Delph and was urged into copping off with a lad (because my best friend bagged his best mate) and 8 years later who is he? Michael Cheshire off Big Brother 7. The most embarrassing claim to fame, I think.

And though not a TV actor, David May (former Blackburn Rovers and Man UTD player) used to live 2 doors up from me. He was a lovely man too!! Always took the kids on the street out onto the playing fields, where he would kick a ball with them for an hour every weekend. Bless!
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Isn't he gay? (I'm not being deliberately facetious with that...just trying to make sure I'm thinking of the right bloke. Is he the one that fell out with Richard in this latest series??)
  13. Wetherby silver band did an episode of Bargain Hunt - our Sop and 1st Baritone were the blue team, and one Bb Bass and the Secretary were the red team. They had us playing and marching around the antique fair... It was the BBC researcher that approached the band, not the other way 'round!!

There were a couple of TMPers helping out - Ploughboy and Mr Malone...
  14. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Aye Big Gav Saynor dressed as a teddy bear for an apperance on Noson Lawen on S4C ( the poor fella even had his nosed made up to look like a bear nose)...
    it was terrible that a species of bear wiped out just to provide the fur for the suit.. :D
  15. Yes and Yes. Though he didnt have that STUPID, UGLY cat surgically attached to him back then. What can I say? I contributed to turning a man gay. Quality.
  16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I've had two moments of "glory" on TV. One wehen Fulham played the Floral Dance on Children in Need, and one where they played on Sport Relief.

On both occasions, LBB said "Who is the fat FFFcensorship conducting? Oh, It's YOU, Will."
  17. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I was recognised from the back of my head appearing on a crowd scene on Blue Peter once! I has been attending a local bring and buy sale - woo!
  18. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Me and my mum were on Flog It... well in the background anyway!
  19. timbloke

timbloke Member

Might have had this one before on a thread. But when I went home for Christmas a few years ago my mum said she had heard that an old friend from many years ago was now somewhat of a heart-throb on Hollyoaks. Having been "forced" to watch it fairly regularly I couldn't say I'd noticed, but sure enough I recognised him a few days leter, and before I knew it Henry Luxembourg turned into the mass murdering rapist Toby who become the centre of the biggest storyline that year. He has dissapeared now, with a brief appearance on a Mastercard advert "The expression on your ex's face - priceless" and regular panto appearances.
  20. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

My TV-connected moments of fame:

1) I was clearly visible in the crowd on the TV coverage when James Callaghan came to Bolton in the 1979 general election (and I got his autograph too!)

2) When I was at University, I was playing in a brass ensemble at a Christmas thing (a University event, I can't really remember anything about it now), but a drama student called Sophie Aldred did a drama-type thing. The next Summer, I was in the orchestra for the University G & S Society's production of Pirates of Penzance, and Sophie played the part of Mabel (and she sang really well). Sophie went on to play Ace, Dr Who's last companion until the series was revived last year.

3) I later did a PGCE, and one of my fellow PGCE students, a chap called Danny, was into acting and drama (even though it was a PGCE for teaching History). 2 or 3 years later, he started appearing on TV, with supporting roles in episodes of "Minder" and "Bugs", and some TV adverts, but I haven't seen anything of him for a long while now.

4) I crashed and burned in my provisional (and only) year as a teacher, but a pupil in one of my classes was a girl by the name of Sarah Cox. It wasn't until after she had become famous and an article (complete with photograph) about her in the local newspaper mentioned which schools she had attended that I realised who she was.