Teething

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

My wisdom teeth are coming through and hurting a considerable amount. Does anybody have any miracle cures to make them better? I know bonjela is good for teething, but I like the taste too much and fear that I may eat too much of it and become ill - any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance of being swamped with hundreds or worthy suggestions!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    miracle cures
    amount
    anybody
    Thanks
    advance
  3. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

thankfully my wisdom teeth aren't hurting but i know my sister's did - and her helpful dentists said "we can't do anything till they're through, but then we can remove them"! so... not very helpful after all...
    my mum just says bonjela will work. *shrug* you'll just have to restrain yourself from eating spoonfuls at a time. sorry, and commiserations, and big hugs.
    xx

4. Di

Di Active Member

Sorry, I don't have any miracle cures either. I had a lot of headaches caused by mine as they were sitting on a nerve and caused pain shooting up round under and behind the ears. I did manage to get a presciption for strong pain killers from the dentist and a promise to take them out once they came through, although by the time they did put in an appearance, the pain had subsided. Not very encouraging I'm afraid. :(

5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

My 2nd wisdom tooth is almost completely through and *Touch wood* I've had no pain at all with it or the other one that's completely through (apart from bieng a bit sore when they were breaking through the skin) I hope I don't either, I Hate Dentists!!!

It could be because I use lots of alcohol based anesthetic though :oops: hic

6. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

If it's cutting through the skin you can use tea tree essential oil. Many bottles say it is toxic but I was advised to use it by a friend who uses the oils for a living and she said it is fine as long as you aren't drinking it!!! Clears up mouth ulcers really well.

If it's just the pain you can try biting on a paracetamol where the wisdom teeth are for a while. It's absolutely disgusting but gets the medicine to the bit that hurts far quicker!

Other than that, commiserations! Mine have been, and are still being, a right pain but the hospital refuse to take them out as they say you have to have 3 infections in them warranting antibiotics before you are eligable and all my problems come from the wisdom teeth pushing the others forward, giving me really bad headaches radiating from my jaw and breaking a filling that I have in the front of my mouth that is just an add-on to cover a gap where a tooth didn't come through when I was younger! The filling has just broken for the second time in two years and pre wisdom teeth it had been there for 15 years!

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Clove Oil!

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Rachel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

You called!!!!!

Couple of alternatives are available so I shall provide the wonderful personal service I am famed for here:

1. Bonjela works but it does only treat the surface so it won't last for long
    2. Hot salty water as a mouthwash tastes foul, stings like billyo but cleans all the food, plaque etc out of the gum flap so you don't get nasty infections.
    3. Ibuprofen (if you ain't asthmatic) 400mg 3x per day and intersperse with normal Paracetamol between doses to relieve swelling.

If you start swelling up or losing sleep ring a dentist....

Rach x

10. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

thanks all, at the moment it's just a sore, but we'll see how it goes.Going to go and buy loads of bonjela tomorrow - yey!

11. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

My wisdom teeth are in a little jar somewhere, they were removed when I was 16 or 17... :(
    A lot of people here have there wisdom teeth removed, to prevent them from messing up your other teeth (by pushing them forwards when the wisdom teeth are coming out...)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    miracle cures
    amount
    anybody
    Thanks
    advance
  13. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

When I was teething (first time 'round - late '50's, early 60's), Mater found Gripe Water to be an essential for a good night's sleep - shut her little chap :)) ) up a treat.

Gripe water was, essentially, booze. Watered alcohol. (Exshplains a lot, in my humble oppinnionsh.... shtart 'em young, an' shumfing...Dunno... You're my besht pal, you no eh mate'n'buddy'n'that'n iluvyou?)

Wisdom teeth? I wouldn't go as far as a friend suggested (gargle with JD), but swilling a measure of spirits - of your choice - around the affected area won't do any harm.

Maybe.

(Well, after a few, it won't hurt so much :guiness:guiness )

14. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

You had your wisdom teeth when you were 16 or 17!! I'm 25 and I've only got 1 and a bit so far!!!

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

No , they were surgically removed, before they came out as a matter of prevention. If I remember correctly, my dentist had a look at them and decided that it might be better to take them out, to prevent possible problems later on.
    I know several other people in my school had that done as well, around the same age. So I think it's a regular procedure over here.

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

*touches wood* I've never suffered with wisdom toothache thank goodness, it doesn't sound very nice...good luck finding some relief!

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... I second clove oil, as long as you avoid lips and tongue! You can buy Ambisol Gel if you don't want to risk using the oil.

18. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Nice to see an advert at the bottom of the page for a better looking smile! The persons new smile is lovely!

19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

My dentist tells me I'm unusual*

I have wisdom teeth at the bottom, but not at the top.

*Space left HERE for gag by LBB.

20. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I haven't got any wisdom teeth. At all. They're not even lurking under the surface. Recent X-rays show I am completely lacking. Ho hum. It may explain a lot.

Sorry, not a lot of use. Sympathy and hugs xox
    BMB
    xx

21. andyp

andyp Active Member

Ibuprofen (alternate with paracetamol if realy bad - you can do this safely). Or Paracodol (combined Paracetamol and codeine - for adults only) but I wouldn't drive or do anything vital afterwards, they're pretty strong.
    Calgel is as good as Bonjela, and possibly not so addictive!

I have 2 kids under 3. Teething has been a part of my life for a fair while!
    (Unfortunately you can't give a 15 month old a bottle of JD to swill, but there are times I'd have been sorely tempted..........)

22. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

all I can say is... it huuuuurts!

My first wisdom tooth (how many am I supposed to get ... and do they all come at the same time?!?!) started coming through on tuesday... at first I though it was a mouth ulcer in a weird place... then noticed it was all white and toothlike.... and its still hurting now! I'm drugged up on ibuprofen and paracetamol... but its not making a lot of difference! and everything hurts... even talking! :(