Teeth and playing...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

So, I get to find out tomorrow night whether the new gold corwn I've had fitted will affect my playing.

Probably just me being hyper sensitive about it, but despite the dentist's assurances, the crown seems to high.

Anyone have any experience of this kind of thing????
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

People who were at Spennymoor yesterday would have found out that a guy (many years ago this was) used to take his set of false teeth out and played perfectly....

Sure you'll be fine! :lol:

3. six pints

six pints Active Member

when i was about eight/nine i knocked the bottom half of my front two teeth out (yes theyre fake, please dont stare!!) and couldnt play for a while (might have had something to do my lip was about 4 times the size it should have been) but with me being so young, i never really had any problems.
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Had my front teeth traumatically broken when I was 12. They were reconstructed using a technique called "acid-etch bonding", where the remaining material was coated with acid to roughen the surface and then a new tooth was fashioned from a ceramic compound that went on soft and then set hard (like a form of concrete). The final teeth were shaped by hand by the surgeon, using drills and buffing wheels. I had them done three times because the new portions would not bind properly and fell off the first two times. The last time steel pins were put in, and I've had those since the age of 17.

Each time I had the procedure, the teeth were slightly different in size and shape. This did cause some problems playing, mainly with range and control especially in the higher register. After a few days things got back to normal.
  5. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

My front two teeth are crowns and i find playing the same as i did before, god help me if they fall out though!!!
  6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I had extensive dental work done over the summer - the only problem it caused was the lay off from practice for a couple of days after each procedure which caused some stamina / endurance problems.This was also at the time when I'd just started playing again after a few years break , so probably contributed to a longer "rusty" period than would have otherwise been the case (at least thats my excuse!!) .Otherwise I did not notice any significant problems.
  7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Baritone Elvis. Was the above a ruse to get yet another new instrument, just cause the second bari now has a newer one than you.

Will, remember when I was on Sop at Harlow and had the gumshield made? Can't be any more painful than that
  8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

My biggest problem was that I was afraid I was going to damage the new work by bashing the mouthpiece into it. For the first few days I was very careful about how I brought the instrument up.
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I know of two people who both had front teeth knocked out when they were younger. Both now have false ones on a plate and both play to a good standard with no problems.

I myself knocked one of my top front teeth out when I was a kid (not the very front two, one of the ones next to it) and due to that the adult tooth came through bad, and eventually I had it pulled. My dentist fitted a post and built a crown around it. That must have been over 10 years ago now and I haven't had any problems at all with it.

I'm sure if you take it easy for a while and let things settle down everything will be OK.
  10. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Never met my brother then [​IMG]
  11. skweeky

skweeky Member

i dont think there is any real worry mate, its like a change of mouthpiece, your lip will adapt to the new shape after time, the length of time obviously will vary but i know players with false teeth, braces, all play as good as normal (apart from the one with braces who has layers of wax put on them so as to not completely mash his lip up)
  12. Will the Sec

Well, playing the Brass Ramblers old battered small 4 valve Eb tonight, I found that my pitching was red hot, and the overall sound was good as well.

Shame about the concentration, or lack thereof...
  13. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

<Professional hat on>

Shouldn't be a huge problem if the dentist's checked the bite properly, Will. However, if you're not 100% sure that it's spot on your bite then go back in - nobody minds readjusting a crown and it's a fact of life that they can take a few days to settle down before you realise that it's a bit off.

Hope that helps!!!

<removes hat>

Rach x
  14. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I had a crown fitted earlier in the year, nowhere near my playing teeth, but the first one he put in didn't fit at all. He was very good and sent it straight back to the lab, but if you're not happy with the bite, you should make them change it. If nothing else it's just uncomfortable.
  15. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

....plus it can cause huge amounts of jaw problems which can be longterm if not sorted quickly - so if you're not happy ring the dentist!

Rach x
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hi Rach! Bit of advice needed here! Would you recommend anyone to continue playing if they were going through a course of root-planing?
  17. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Depends whereabouts in the mouth it is. On front teeth I'd not play for about 3 days after treatment as teeth can be a bit more mobile after treatment so it gives them chance to firm up. On back teeth, no problems - play away!

Rach x
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Thanx there! (I lost a couple of teeth at the side after hygenist gave me the go-ahead ... professional MD was at band and we were rehearsing all week ...:-? ... gum never locked back on the chompers).
  19. Will the Sec

<paranoid reluctant patient hat on>

Frankly, I'd rather suffer in silence for twenty years before letting that sadist put his fingers near my gob again...

<removes hat>

There's definitely an appreciable gap between the top and bottom back teeth on the other side to the crown. The dentist was very understanding about my paranoia, and has said to give it a couple of days then to go back if it needs any adjustment.

I can't afford to have any jaw problems - on the same side as the crown, the jaw dislocates and there is some damage to the soft tissue (cartliage? I was at the dentist when I was told what the actual terminoogy was, but I didn't take it in).

So, if I'm still conscious of the gap by Moday, I'll be going back.

Thanks for the counsel.

King Will the Fifth
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Will, that's an interesting comment there! My jaw dislocates sometimes as well ... that tell-tale 'click' and the bite changes a little. Sometimes doesn't affect playing but sometimes it does! Can be irritating when it happens.