Techno internet help!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I've done something to the internet (I have no idea what!), everything says it's working, but it will only let me access about a few websites...tmp being one of them, the bbc and facebook (there may be more, but I haven't tried them all!)

What have I done? How can I make it better? I can't get onto any microsoft sites (including msn!)

Please help before my dad gets home and shouts at me!
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

MSN is a https site I think - have you changed your firewall to block https websites? I did that a few months ago and had to uninstall Norton firewall to fix it! :(
  3. andyp

andyp Active Member

Are you on wireless (router) or just a straight modem on one PC?

Sounds like a DNS or NAT problem, your PC or router isn't translating the www.whatever into the IP address xx.xx.xx.xx that the Net needs, or vice versa. Either that or it's your firewall - are you just using the XP one or have you got Norton/Zonealarm/McAffee/etc?

Need more info on your setup for a definite answer though.
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Try accessing a site you don't normally use e.g

It's possible that you are only viewing cached pages, in which case you need to look at the internet connection settings. Post back and let us know if you can access the sbba site I mentioned above.

Are you on broadband or a dial-up modem and what browser are you using.
  5. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

She couldn't have posted the request on here if she was on cache only :oops:

But, We do need more info to be able to assist. Everything from the telephone or cable inlet to the network card or USB port, and firewall protection please
  6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Maybe daddy blocked your access to all the others! :biggrin:
  7. mcmacca69

mcmacca69 New Member

There is no end to my techno internet helpfulness.
  8. dyl

dyl Active Member

There doesn't appear to be a beginning either! ;)
  9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Thanks for your help, it's more or less resolved!
    Denial I've found works well.... (as does moving back to Oxford!)