Technical help required for today's modern world!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Hi everyone

In keeping up with today's technology I send a lot of information out to band members via email. However, all my documents are saved automatically on wps. Most of the band members computers won't accept this format and I have to send in rtf or word 97 - 2000. However, sometimes when I try to alter the formats on my computer it starts to have a fit! Neat forms suddenly become jumbled over many pages!

Does anyone know of an easy way to alter the format so that what I save on wps. is what appears when I send out in different formats?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

from 'frustrated':(

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    world
    everyone
    band members
    lot
    information
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Charmed,

I've moved this thread from it's original place in the "user submitted news" section, as I felt it was better suited to this forum. I hope the font of knowledge that is tMP will supply an answer to your enquiry :tup

Ian

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Well, you could get them all to sign up to tMP and send PMs...

I'd use the most basic format available - using a .txt extension (readable in MS Notepad and equivalents and higher) is about as basic as it gets, and can be read by most office suite WPs.

You might want to consider using a forced line break after every twelve words or so, (shift and enter usually) as Notepad tends to ignore wrapping and justification.

Alternatively, why not just paste the content into an HTML email?

I doubt these are the only solutions - some whizz may have a better answer.

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

Wps is Microsoft Works format, which isn't very compatible with Word etc (annoying!).

About all you can do is save as rich text, or Notepad as already mentioned, but you may have formatting problems (boxes/lines going wrong etc).

For a free solution, you could also try OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org I think) which is a free suite very similar to MS Office - and it's files are compatible with Word, Excel, etc. Not tried it myself but have had it recommended by colleagues at work. May take a long time to download it if you're not on broadband, though.
    hth

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

What he said, though, if you know a child in full time education or are a member, however distantly related, of the family of a child in full time education (including college) then you may be able to get the student version of Office. This will avoid any compatibility problems in the future. :)