Technical Help- O/E Compacted Messages

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Redhorn, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I recently compacted my emails, as it kept asking me to do it. I now find that in just one folder ALL the messages have disappeared! They're not in the deleted items folder, or anywhere!

Does anyone know how I might be able to retrieve these messages?

I've done a bit of searching on google, and the problem seems to be quite common- but noone seems to have answers about how to retrieve the emails!

They're really important! I need them!!!!

HELP!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    google
    problem
    deleted items folder
  3. steve_r

steve_r Member

Hi

First of all you need to see if the information is still on your PC. I assume it was a mail folder you have lost under Inbox?

Find the mail folders which are somewhere like (browse down from the top and replace your name)

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{84535FB8-22DE-474F-AA70-26827C5837EB}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

When you find them there should be a set of files called .dbx - copy them all out to another place so nothing more can go wrong.

If there is a file called .dbx which has the name of your lost folder you are lucky and you can get it back

If its not there it may be worth searching for all .dbx files just in case its somewhere else and then you can put it back in the proper folder

I would suggest what you should do in that case is to close OE, delete Folders.dbx and then reinstall all your folders by dragging and dropping the .dbx files to the folders box on OE. Read here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx before doing this
    and make sure you have ssaved all your folders before you do it!

Steve

4. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Yep, the dbx file for that particular folder is there (indeed, the folder is still listed in o/e) but it just doesnt contain any messages!

Any idea where they might be hiding?...

5. steve_r

steve_r Member

Not really in that case

Whats the length of the dbx file ?- that may give you a clue if it has enough info still in it

If it has you could try the folder.dbx trick in the link? if its 0 or really small then sorry I dont know

Steve

Also try here
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_oe.htm#xp_oe_corrupt

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  6. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Yes, its really small! Should be hundreds of messages in it!
    Just downloading a couple of utilities now which might help! Thanks for the links!