tech help needed...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Naomi McFadyen, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I've recently purchased a new sony microphone (ECM-DS70P) for my mini disk player... Now, the mic works fine when recording, excellent mic, but the mini disk player itself doesn't like playing what I have recorded back proply :-? It simply won't play back and then says "disk error"... It's definalty not a mini disk fault, as I've used several disks, including one's with stuff already on it...
    I have one of the earlier models of Sony MD players, the MZ-R90 which I got about 3 years ago...

Is it possible that it is now "out of date" and I need a newer MD player to make the music I record to my MD player to play back with the new mic??

Any other thoughts?

Cheers :-D
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The error only occurs with new disks recorded using the new mic? Then it's probably the mic. If it's happening on all new disks, regardless of the mic, then it might be a lens in need of cleaning.
  3. Naomi McFadyen

no matter what disk i put in it doesn't play back what i've recorded.. old or new...

My old mic works on it and plays back fine... mystery :-?
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Sounds like the new mic is affecting internal circuitry - maybe the signal from the new mic is too powerful and it is inducing interference.
  5. Naomi McFadyen

yea... could very well be right... cheers.

Think I know what this could lead too! :lol:
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Go on Naomi - UPGRADE FEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Naomi McFadyen

LOL!! Yup... I'm getting an upgrade fever big style...
    I've already started looking around a few websites and have also been in touch with my brother stopping him from getting an MD player because it looks like he is going to inherit mine when I go home for Christmas! :lol: ;) :-D (Which he seemed happy about)

Any models anyone can recommend?
    Or shall I just go for the most expensive (and latest) one?! :lol:
  8. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

It looks like you've already decided to get yourself a new pressie, and I'm not trying to put you off but...

I'd probably try finding someone else with a player and/or a mic so that you can try both bits out independently. I'm not an expert, but if you're using your player to record and playback you can't really tell where it's going wrong. It seems odd to me that it's too old to play stuff you're recording but has no problem in recording it in the first place, if you see what I mean.
  9. Naomi McFadyen

yea tis weird and I know what you mean Sam... when I monitor the recording itself it's all fine; the playback, not that it does play back, messes the disk up though... very strange...

I know someone with the same mic as me but he uses a newer MD player... I'll see if I can try out his mic on my current MD player and see what happens...

Be cool to get the upgrade anyway, as my brother would find my player handy. Plus, he usually gives me his old computer stuff when he upgrades so this would be a nice gesture... :) plus, it's his birthday soon after christmas so his present is now sorted! :) :lol:
  10. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Another possible problem could be the amount of power that the mic is drawing from the batteries in the MD recorder, which dosen't leave enough umph avaiable for the MiniDisc to be written upon (obviously only applicable to a portable MD player not powered by the mains!).
  11. Naomi McFadyen

No that wasn't the problem Steve... it would save the data on the disk fine... just wouldnt playback proply... and I tried it with the power pack plugged into it as well ;-)

12. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

From reading some of your entries I am assuming you are still a student Naruco!!
    How come you can afford to buy all this fancy techno gear in the first place ? Best I could manage when I was studying was a ****py sanyo tape player!!!! Mind you , that was many years ago in the late 80's / early 90's . Am still a technophobe now.Am thinking about trying some of these new-fangled wax cylinder recordings of a promising young cornet player by the name of H.Mortimer...............getting me coat
  13. Naomi McFadyen

You can see from my signature that I am at Salford Uni ;-)

How can I afford it?
    That shouldn't be any of your concern, eh? :p ;)
  14. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Sounded more jealous than concerned to me... ;)
  15. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Too right!!! In my student days (cue band playing "Hovis / From New World) times were hard.Sometimes I struggled to pay for the pot noodle at end of day......26 of us living in hole in ground........
  16. andyp

andyp Active Member

Have you tried a MD lens cleaner? Cost about £5 from HMV, or most supermarkets. If there's crud anywhere round the lens etc it should sort it, I have one and it does help if you do it every couple of months or so.
  17. Naomi McFadyen

No i haven't tried that, but will do :) cheers