Teaching.... What do I need?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hells Bones, May 29, 2007.

1. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hey Y'all!!!

I am a 21 year old Trombonist looking to start teaching brass instruments.

What I want to know is what I need to do to go about this?

Any Advice from you guys?

Cheers!

2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Students???:rolleyes::biggrin:

sorry couldn't resist!:redface:

3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

No worries! It's getting the students that I need the help with!

4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

you could try advertising?

Get yourself known amongst the local youth bands helping out and such

5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Advertise on musicteachers.co.uk - I keep getting contacts from them and I don't even teach any more!! Note to self - must remove my details......:rolleyes:

6. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

the patience of a saint, sense of humour, certifying etc etc

Seriously tho, good luck with it!

have a browse round the ABRSM teacher's forum for some good advice. You can access it from the main ABRSM website

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

You could also offer your services here in the appropriate forum on tMP. Many brass players view the site... you never know.

8. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

A police check....

9. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

a website! with lots of information about you and what qualifies you to teach :)

10. Put up a small notice or 'business card' in local music shops. That's what lots of teachers do in my area anyway and i think where first time musicians would look. Some shops might say no because they have their own teachers which they promote but thats quite unusual.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    teaching brass instruments
    year old Trombonist
    Advice
    guys
  12. gavinlindsay

gavinlindsay New Member

A pre-frontal lobotomy.

13. premacyblue

premacyblue Member

Try taking a part time PGCE course in a college. The course will open your eyes to how many different ways to teach there are. If you are thinking of teaching under 16's you will need a Personal Disclosure (Vetting) form from the Police allowing you to teach. Another quality is patience. Not all students are instant Championship class players but you can only try your best

14. As said above, CRB check and go to youth bands. Word of mouth should follow on from there.
    'Chunk' the lesson (especially with kids), e.g play scales, a bit of theory, work on a piece etc. Styles - some of us need to sing rhythms, some of need to clap them and some need a phrase to fit.

15. If you want to work for a county music teaching service you'll need a Post Graduate Certificate in Education. There may still be some out there which offer the chance to train as a peripatetic for one day of the week as I did.

As a private tutor there are a number of ways to gain pupils:

Firstly, get yourself involved in local bands, particularly youth groups. Mind though that you don't step on the toes of other local teachers who may have established themselves there. Earning a good reputation is essential, however a quick way to gain a bad one is to upset other local tutors.

Introduce yourself to all your local music shops. Most of them will have their own lists of local teachers who they will recommend to parents.

Check online and through word of mouth for the prices of your local competitors and price yourself beneath these. You need to be an attractive option to those money-strapped parents. You can gradually bring yourself up to the prices of other teachers once you have some experience and sustainable pupil numbers.

And finally, don't treat your teaching as work or the parents as clients. Think of the children as your own and the parents as friends. Enjoy what is a wonderful job, along with the satisfaction of helping to mould the lives of the children for the better. These parents are the people who are going to get you the most new pupils over the years through word of mouth.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

16. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I haven't got one!

17. 7thPosition

7thPosition New Member

Anthony try helping out at Delph Training band if you can.

When I used to be at dobcross youth band there used to be loads of posters on the notice board of people wanting to teach youngsters their instrument.

Try putting some up in the local band clubs perhaps.

18. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I think that depends on the music service?

I work for Essex Music Services as a peri, but then I also have PGCE as I am mainly a classroom teacher.

19. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Naaaah... quality competition is always good, and I'd say even more importantly... never, ever, under-sell yourself. Sure, consider market forces when pitching your services, but don't under-sell yourself.

20. Hi Duncan,
    Not seen you for a while. I was under the impression that it was either currently required or would be made a requirement at some time soon. And maybe some counties have different policies to others. At least it would be a great asset in a job interview over other potential applicants. I would certainly recommend it.

Ryan

21. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Hi Ryan, I agree with your point completely, what I was trying to say is that it certainly isn't compulsary. In my opinion, certain music services prefer to employ 'unqualified' teachers as they don't have to be paid as much! My memory can't quite recall which music service;), but you and I both used to work for them!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    teaching brass instruments
    year old Trombonist
    Advice
    guys