Tea, coffee or Coke? Uni or multi coloured pegs?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Beesa, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Beesa

Beesa Member

Subjects that might be small to you but big to me and I wonder if anyone else lies awake at night worrying about them.

When I were a lad there was no tea or coffee in the band room as it was considered to be not good as it might gunge up the instrument and especially if it had sugar in it also make the mouthpiece sticky. These days the kids are forever gulping out of a can of Coke (and they leave the tins about but that is a different subject altogether).

And another thing, I think we should only use the same coloured pegs and not multi-coloured pegs on our music when playing outside. All wooden pegs would do.

That's my wicked witch of the west winge today.
  2. millie6589

millie6589 Member

We only have water in our bandroom for that exact reason and also a lot of the band have started using little crome magnets, they look quite good cos they cant be seen by the audience and seem to work pretty well
  3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I totally agree. I only ever drink water when I'm playing-kids (and adults!) who drink coke or lucozade really REALLY annoy me! Do they not realise what they are blowing into their instruments? Surely it's not good for the instruments anyway?

And yes. PEGS. All the same colour. ie, wooden. always.
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I feel that "pegs" are very unprofessional and in this modern age we should be using something a bit more high tech - so it's those snazzy little multi-coloured magnets for me - (£1.50 for 15 at Office Supplies) - pegs however should only be used for the traditional art of "pegging".
  5. hicks

hicks Member

We don't even get a break, let alone tea! It's a two hour slog and maybe a sip of water in between pieces.
  6. Martin Cordy

Martin Cordy Member

agreed the magnets are great for indoor concerts, but for those windy days in Sidmouth only an army of pegs stand a chance of keeping the music in place. Wooden ones preferably!

Re the drinks - it has to be water, although during DSOTM rehearsals the odd coffee was good!!!
  7. Valvespring

Valvespring New Member

Water / Coke? It should make little difference IF you can instil the need for hygene and washing out instruments on a regular basis (No not once a year whether it needs it or not!!!!!)

Pegs? a little naff but now regarded by some as "Traditional" its magnets for me every time!
  8. Beesa

Beesa Member

Probably one of the most useful threads I have read in a while. Thanks for the pointers.

Pegs will get dumped and shiny magnetty things will be purchased. I'm sure if I start using them others will follow suit.

Regarding the ubiquitous cans of Coke in the bandroom . . . . . how do I get the band committee to read this thread?
  9. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Send every member on your committee an email with the link to this thread. That should work. If not, print the page & stick it to their foreheads!!
  10. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I might suggest magnets at the next band practice. It will look more professional and look better than those pegs that always get in the way. Not badly priced either.

We have a tea break half way through. Acup of tea without sugaqr is me though and the band always sounds a lot better after tea break!!
  11. millie6589

millie6589 Member

there are quite often conferences held in our band room as it is a huge conference centre and there is usually all sorts of food left over from them...the more consciencious members dont touch it in the fear of crumb sprayage but it would only get chucked away if the rest of us didn't...we do only get provided with water so the food comes as a welcome treat...!
  12. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

We have a dedicated team of players wives and a grandma who provide us with tea, coffee, orange juice, chocolate biscuits and the grandma makes fruit scones to die for. All for the princely sum of 20p per person.

The only problem is the delay caused to the start of the second half of the rehearsals, as we all queue up in the loos to clean our teeth afterwards :biggrin:
  13. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

No breaks for us, a straight through hour and three quarter blow...as for pegs, you lot can please yourselves, mine are rubber tipped white nylon numbers and they're the dogs. Ain't no wind gonna whip my music while pegged with those babies, no siree.
  14. lilz

lilz Member

haha this actulary made me laugh, the passion you have for you pegs :D
  15. millie6589

millie6589 Member

this made me laugh too, i can also feel the passion....!
  16. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

"rubber tipped" - "white nylon" - hmmmm, don't knock it 'til you've tried it :rolleyes:
  17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Are there any specific rules regarding the pegs. Am positive I saw a foreign peg being used at the L & SC area last weekend.

I find it wholly unacceptable that people should use foreign pegs in our national contest. Absolutely disgraceful.
  18. 2nd man down

Lets not go there shall we?? :biggrin: :-?

You need to see these pegs in action to believe them!! Magnets?? pah, my pegs laugh in the face of magnets (especially on a plastic coated music stand!!)
  19. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Why not, I am on topic Crawford? I have not insulted anyone and it is a random thread!
  20. 2nd man down

Yeah but if we get embroiled in the whole "European peg holding music in British Contests" debate we're sure to upset some pegs somewhere!!

It's a minefield. Can open..worms everywhere. :rolleyes: