Taylor Trumpets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jameshowell, Aug 30, 2004.

1. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Does anybody else on here play Taylor instruments???

I play a Taylor London trumpet, and think it is the best trumpet I have ever laid my hands on, and Andy Taylor is a great bloke.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Taylor
    David I
    :D
    Taylor Trumpets David
    matter
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I don't but I would love a Taylor flugel :)

All donations towards my aim would be gratefully recieved....

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Nice Try :)

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Moved into "Rehearsal Room"

6. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Sorry :oops: wasn't sure which one it belonged in, so opted for random chat since it is less formal area of the two!

7. I would like a Taylor trumpet...however...considering the price I would probably opt for a cheaper (pro) model.
    dave

8. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Have gone one better by getting Eclipse to make me a Flugel, http://www.eclipsetrumpets.com

They are currently making the changes I want, so should have it this Wednesday or Thursday.

I play every day, so I don't mind paying to get exactly what I want. After all, it will last for years. Valves are fantastic, tuning throughout is the best I have come across, and with a copper bell giving a dark horny sound.

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

The Eclipse flugels are simply amazing - which one did you go for?
    I am currently saving for an Eclipse copper flugel (along with a couple of the trumpets as well).

The Taylor cornet is an instrument that should really be the one making an impact on this site (being primarily made up of brass band players). It is THE BEST cornet I have ever played.
    The tuning is incredible, the tone is absolutely beautiful, the valves are the same as the Eclipse (so incredible!) amd it just sings.

Worth checking out if you are looking for a new cornet.

10. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Hi,

The base of all their Flugels is the same. I am having copper bell, trigger moved, etc, and Gold plated. However, as all are hand made, you can have what you want, within reason :)

Eclipse are also currently designing there own Cornet. If as good as their Trumpet and Flugel, it will also be fantastic.

BTW- Other small manufacturers use Eclipse for the finishing work. They also do a lot of repair work for music shops.

11. Incognito

Incognito Member

I used to have a Taylor Chicago custom with personalised engraving on it.

The ability to hit notes in the middle every time was incredible, but the sound was rather rotary trumpet-ish. It was also very heavy.

I finally got rid of it because I had problems keeping the satin gold plate finish clean.

I am an instrument-a-holic anyway.
    I recently had enough money for a flugel and bought one, only to have a clear out and bring in enough money for another instrument.
    Having two players in the house makes it worse. We could open an instrument shop.

Two cornets (Sovereign large bore and Wedgwood custom cornet).
    Yamaha heavyweight trumpet
    Jupiter flugel (dont laugh, they are very good if flugel is not your main instrument).
    F Besson Piccolo trumpet
    Natural trumpet with crooks for Eb, D and C (playing this on Wednesday night).
    An old class A tenor horn (my kids tradidtionally start playing on it!)
    Scherzer Rotary valve Bb trumpet with interchangeable lead pipes (used in the orchestra)
    Schilke 4 valve Eb trumpet with additional bell and slides for D
    Weril pocket trumpet (plays in tune....)

I have another one on the way, an old 1930's Beuscher trumpet which has gone for a rebuild and a plating. I am after that rooty tooty 30's dance band sound for a project I am working on.

However , I am not a collector. They all get used to varying degrees.
    I am playing the cornet in the orchestra a lot (things like Vaughan Williams where there are seperate cornet and trumpet parts).
    I use the rotary or the natural trumpet for things like Beethoven.
    I use the Eb withthe extra large bell when I am knackered.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Taylor
    David I
    :D
    Taylor Trumpets David
    matter
  13. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Hi,

Taylors are very heavy. For that reason alone, I wouldn't buy one. However, as a Flugel player, I could not live with a Jupiter either. Haven't had an instrument that cheap since I was a kid.

The Eclipse trumpets and flugel are weighted for balance, but not heavy. Their Cornet will be the same.

I have been through the normal brands, but each is a compromise in some respect. When you think that with a top of range Cornet you can pay £1500, an extra £500 for something that is hand made to your specs isn't expensive, and the valves work; unlike on some brands noted in this forum.

Sound is another thing. Cornets should sound like Cornets, not a trumpet. I spent 3 hours at Eclipse trying different bells etc. I settled on copper because it gives a nice dark sound, without being a horn.

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

Not that sounding like a horn is a problem. :evil: :D

15. Incognito

Incognito Member

Trivia:

The two guiys at First Class Brass (who make the eclipse trumpets) used to work for Sterling before it went out of business, making their instruments, so if you ever have a problem with a Sterling instrument they are the experts at fixing them.
    And as Taylor used to use the Sterling valve block in his trumpets, FCB are the people for fixing those too.

On the Jupiter issue, the flugel is good.
    Its about 90% as good as the yamaha its based on, but as I play it in a Jazz environment its fine for me, and with the money i saved I was able to buy another instrument.
    You can't have too many instruments!

16. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Hi,

Yes, they even offered to look at a Band members 928 to sort the valves out....FREE.

I didn't like the Yam Flugel either. The only standard Flugel that comes close to what I want is the AC. Next step up from there is hand made IMHO. However, I never tried any Flugel for a Jazz environment, so can not comment on that side of things. Different sound, and mouthpiece required normally.

17. Incognito

Incognito Member

The 6310z flugel is an incredible instrument.

Well worth trying.
    Intonation in the upper registr is the best of any flugel I have tried.

18. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

I think I will stick with the Eclipse now:)

I have tried all the main manufacturers Flugels. At the top end, it does come down to personal taste. However, you do get what you pay for - in most cases. The cheaper the instrument, normally the more work involved with playing it.

One time when I was over in Germany with another band, on Cornet. I had to dep on Flugel for a concert, with their VB Flugel. I struggled with that all the way through. Far too much resistance. It just would not open up for me....There again, I am used to free blowing instruments. I found the Yam Flugel was not free blowing either, so presume the Jupiter to be similar as it is based on the Yam. In a Jazz environment, it could very well be a great instrument, but I don't play in that envirnment.

I am going with the same Band to Portugel next year, but WILL be taking my Flugel this time :)

As with everything in life though, horses for courses.

19. flugel4rent

flugel4rent New Member

Sorry to divert a little from the thread but has anyone tried a Smith-Watkins flugel? If so, do you know anywhere that stocks them so I could go for a try?

Cheers :)

20. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

If you go to their site http://www.smithwatkins.com, it gives contact details in the UK there, Where to buy/try.

BTW- I picked up my new Eclipse Flugel on Thursday, had a blow through, rehersal on Friday and concert yesterday eve. What a difference!!!

Anyone considering Eclipse, I would recommend going for the copper bell. It helps produce a great rich dark sound, throughout the instrument range. I have to get used to the shorter valve action.....have a tendancy to rush faster passages at the moment, but once sorted and learned how to get the most out of the instrument, I don't think I would be able to get anything better for my money.

21. JSmith

JSmith Member

That has to be the daftest reason for selling an instrument i've heard :D

A lot of folks make reference to "handmade" instruments but what do you mean by that? All instruments, however cheap, are handmade; hand-assembled. I don't know about Taylor but Eclipse or Smith-Watkins use fabricated bells/bows like mass-producers (Besson etc) do. If you know what you're looking for, these firms can provide custom-options unavailable with mass-producers but if you don't really know what you want, many players just go for the biggest bore/bell/whatever and sound dreadful. You have to pay a lot of money to get a truly hand-fabricated instrument. That is to say all the tubing hand-hammered into tubes including the bell. There is a lot more hand-finishing in the work of Eclipse and Smith-Watkins which means you can expect a quality of finish (and customisation) above the mass producers but they are no more handmade...

Check out the work of the "Thein" company (and their prices!) to see true handmade custom instruments. They will make you truly anything you like, just so long as you can afford it...

22. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Hi,

There is a huge difference in manufacturing of say Besson, Yams, etc. The manufacturing process with them does not require very skilled craftsmen now it is all fully automated. Yes, of course bells, tubing have to be machined to form the basic instrument, as not to could easily create tuning and other issues, and quality could not be maintained throughout easily. The basic instruments are far better, and can be made to your specs.

Making a truly hand made instrument is to redesign an instrument each and every time. When you spend huge amounts of time working with top players to create a template design that you can base everything around, why?

You get what you pay for in this World. Look at all the valve problems with Besson as just one example. If Eclipse or any other "Hand Made" manufacturer sold instruments with valve issues like that, they would be out of business very quickly. As it is, Eclipse and others are selling more and more, because they provide what people want, not just what they could sell.

Eclipse trumpets have a very good name and are used by a growing number of top professional players who demand that their instrument is the best. You can not get that with the normal manufacturers. Even players with sponsorship with Yam, Besson, and others, will still buy an Eclipse trumpet. They do this to ensure they are using the best for the job wherever possible.

Yes, you can have custom options with any instrument. Cost could then be very similar to buying something like an Eclipse, so why bother when you can have something that is right at the beginning.

As I stated before, it is horses for courses. There is not a mass made Flugel that fits what I want in all aspects. Best was AC. With the Eclipse I have exactly what I want, and that is worth the money spent to me. It is so much better.

If all instruments were equal, everyone would be buying those made in India!, which are probably more "hand made" than most others given the cost of hiring a workforce.

I am not anyone special when it comes to playing. However, I know what I want and Eclipse could provide it. If they couldn't, I would still be playing on an AC flugel and still looking. In my mind, Eclipse, Smith-Watkins, Taylors, etc, are a step up, as they look to produce instruments that do exactly what they player wants.

OK, they may not be truly hand made from scratch. That is not what I paid for though. I paid to have the instrument that will do what I want, which is far more important.