Tax return avoidance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Suzi Q, Jan 21, 2018.

1. julian

julian Active Member

And...........Relax!
    We did ours last May - Stress free! Who needs it over the Christmas period?

2. Suzi Q

Suzi Q Member

As long as it’s all done!

3. GER

GER Active Member

4 didn't get their records in, if they send them we'll do them, but after 31 Jan no more chasing-they've had 9 months and about 10 reminder emails. Usually find when the letter with a £100 penalty notice drops through the door it stirs their stumps. It's stupid really, 2 of them, based on past records will more than likely have no tax to pay!

4. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Assuming they've not taken their business elsewhere?

5. GER

GER Active Member

The new accountant would normally write to us requesting various information.

4th Cornet likes this.
  6. julestools

julestools Active Member

I usually find the hardest part is logging into my online account......what’s the password?..... which one?...... never herd of you!..... try “Verify”..... passport, driving licence, bank statements...... oh, I’m not on the electoral roll..... I don’t exist yet they want me to pay tax?

And then the iPad finds my password and within moments the tax return is done and there’s nothing to pay (because I’m poor)

7. GER

GER Active Member

Little anecdote from dealings with HMRC.
    Just before I start, as an accountant you have to be authorised by your clients to speak to HMRC on their behalf.
    So Telephone rings
    Me: Smith & Co accountants
    Caller: HMRC here I wish to speak with you about John Smith, but before I do I need to ask you some security questions
    Me: But you've just rung me, surely it should be the other way round
    Caller: But it's HMRC if you dont answer the security questions I can't speak to you about him
    Me: Sorry not prepared to divulge personal information over the phone, I don't know who you are
    Caller: Ok if you ring main number and ask for ext 123 that will put you through to me
    Me OK
    I then ring back and get put through
    Me: We have just been talking re John Smith
    HMRC: Oh yes, what company are you from
    Me: Smith & co accountants
    HMRC: Sorry we don't hold authorisation to deal with you in his affairs
    Me: We've been authorised for about 5 years, and you've just rung me!!
    HMRC: We've got no record of you being the authorised agent
    Me: So how did you get our phone number
    HMRC: We cannot speak further, can you ring your client and tell him to ring me
    Me: No, if you want to talk to him ring him yourself
    HMRC: We haven't got a telephone no for him, could you give it to me please
    Me: No
    End of conversation
    That's a true story, the end result? they wrote to him and sent us a copy of the letter as we were the authorised agent!!, oh and the subject matter? it was a mistake they made resulting in them trying to collect app £30 he didn't owe-it was written off on our appeal.

Jack E and 4th Cornet like this.
  8. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Don't get me started on the stupidity of government department processes.

Whenever I contact them I have to tell myself I need to be prepared to be entertained otherwise I will just get angry, which is unfair on the staff member who is just following instructions.

2nd tenor likes this.
  9. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

The Tax Office appairs to be answerable to no-one and appears to take no responsibility for their errors. Certainly I know of instances where they have got things wrong, forced someone to sell assets at a knock down price to pay their tax bill and even bankrupted somebody. Later the dear old Mr Tax Man finds out that the error was his all along yet the now brocken individual has no recourse, it seems, to proper compensation for the disaster pushed upon him or her.

I guess that every employee makes an error occasionally and likewise every Government body, but somehow it doesn’t seem unreasonable to expect more of the IR in terms of ensuring complete accuracy and in putting things right when their mistake has caused serious problems.

Jack E likes this.
  10. GER

GER Active Member

You would think so, it is a reasonable thing to do. The only problem is is HMRC take no responsibility for their actions, as far as they are concerned it is your responsibility to get your tax affairs right, even if they have given you erroneous information. We have had countless occasions when there has been mistake, computer error etc on their part, often that they are aware of and the only way to get their mistake corrected is by appealing usually on the grounds it is their mistake. The appeals are usually successful, but are time consuming, and I often wonder how many thousands, if not millions has been collected because people have received erroneous claims from HMRC and haven't had access to a professional to sort it out.
    Sorry rant over!

Jack E and 2nd tenor like this.
  11. julestools

julestools Active Member

A dear friend of mine spent 33 years working for HMRC in Liverpool...... she was never offered promotion because she didn’t “Brown nose”...... she eventually walked out because of the unprofessional attitude of the HMRC

12. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

"Brown-nosing" aka "Building a strong working relationship with one's seniors" is often necessary to get promotion. Being disconnected from those who have influence is a poor career strategy for someone that wants promotion.

13. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Funny how the same words or phrase can mean different things to different people. Building a strong working relationship, but with all your co-workers and regardless of seniority, is all fine and good (something to be encouraged, IMHO). However sometimes boundaries are crossed too, but to be fair it’s not always obvious where those boundaries are and they seem to shift a little over time and between places. ‘Brown-nosing’ lies on the wrong side of those boundaries, typically by a small but discernible margin.

Whilst an extreme example the Ladies of Hollywood are far from alone in having pressure applied to them to, in some way, ‘please’; on the other hand some folk also seek competitive career advantage by engaging with decision makers, manipulating them to some degree and offering varying levels of ‘favours’. The former are victims and the others you can make your own judgement about.

Edit. The ‘Eagle Eyed’ my note that 4th Cornet responded before I had finished editing my post. The differences are effectively inconsequential, well as far as our two posts are concerned.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  14. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

True, it's all a matter of perception and I agree that lines are crossed and underhand activity does take place.
    What I witness regularly (hence the reason I felt inclined to respond), is that the people that accuse others of brown-nosing are usually those who do little to help their career and often have behaviours that do the opposite, e.g. are anti-establishment. No matter the level of education, skill, talent and experience, attitude is the most important factor in one's value to a company (similar applies to banding of course).

2nd tenor likes this.
  15. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

It's fair enough for management to expect hard work and professionalism from their employees - but NOT to demand out and out grovelling from them. I've worked in two firms which were run like that, quit both of them, and my only regret was that I didn't do it much sooner than I did.

2nd tenor likes this.
  16. Bankman

Bankman New Member

I'm a sole proprietor and yes I'll be sending my cheque to "The man" in a few days. My accountant is killer so I'm okay with it for now :)