Tax Dodging

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. sugarandspice

    sugarandspice Active Member

    Right, i know this is going to produce lots of discussion about students being tax
    dodgers etc, but i've heard it all before and i don't really care! :)

    As it happens i am actually paying some tax on my wages, and apparently i can claim them back in April (new finacial year). I know i can claim it back when i leave my job, but i don't intend on doing that for a while so does anyone know how i can do it this year? what do i have to do?! Would i be able to claim back what i earnt over the summer as i had two jobs?

    Any advice would be great.

    Kelly xXx
  2. Lauradoll

    Lauradoll Active Member

    Phone the Inland Revenue, they should be able to advise you on what's the best way to go about claiming your tax back.
  3. yorkie19

    yorkie19 Active Member
  4. Lisa

    Lisa Member

    I have the same thing to do! I phoned my local tax office the other day (The phone numbers are listed here: ) and they told me that I had to either:

    A) Find P45 from previous job and send it to them
    B) Wait until I get a P60 at the end of the year in April , from my current job, and send them a copy of that.

    I'm doing the 2nd option as I have no idea where my P45 is if I have one!
    Probably best to phone your tax office and see what they say though!

    I'm already dreaming up lots of fun ways to spend my tax money when I get it! :p:p:p
  5. sugarandspice

    sugarandspice Active Member

  6. Lisa

    Lisa Member

    Ooh, I could buy quite a few pairs of shoes! A pair in every colour that exists! It would also mean having to buy lots of new clothes to go with all of my new shoes though...and matching accessories... :)

    Or I could spend it on an ipod type thing...or a record player...I'm thinking a holiday would be good too! I'm definitely swaying towards the summer holiday option at the moment! :)
  7. sugarandspice

    sugarandspice Active Member

    Me too!but where to go?!......Ooooh the possibilities! I'm not even sure how much money im going to get back but i've worked quite a lot. Will i get all of the amount under the "tax paid to date category?"

    I do think i deserve some new shoes right now tho- I just got my English assignment back- I got the highest mark possible for 5 out of the 6 marking categories :) Feeling like a very clever bean at the moment :)
  8. yorkie19

    yorkie19 Active Member

    Depends on your tax code and how much you've earnt. Use the student tax checker on the Revenue's website to find out......
  9. sugarandspice

    sugarandspice Active Member

    I'm going to, i need to collect my wage slips 1st tho, and i have no idea about the interest on my savings account?? It'll be something stupid like 2.3p but am i meant to know that properly?
  10. Anno Draconis

    Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

    If you are in "full time" education i.e. full time uni or college student you can fill in a form (P38 I think?) so that you don't actually pay tax - this means you don't have to muck about reclaiming it. My company has a lot of students working in the holidays and that's what they do.
  11. Ruthless

    Ruthless Member

    I thought for a P38 you had to confirm that over the year you were not going to earn more than £3,500 ish (Single persons allowance before any tax is paid) If you only work over the summer this may be true but if you have a part time job through out the year you may reach this amount.
  12. The Cornet King

    The Cornet King Active Member

    When i worked as a student during the holidays etc, i just rung up my Tax Office, spoke to P.A.Y.E told them i was a full time student and that was it, not a single penny went to the greedy Mr Brown :p
  13. Anno Draconis

    Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

    Hmmm... possibly. I get a buzzing noise in my head when people tell me about tax rules so it's possible this nugget of information passed me by...
  14. sugarandspice

    sugarandspice Active Member

    I think i'm experiencing that buzzing right now! I'm not sure what it is exactly that i am paying, but im sure im not meant to be??
  15. Anno Draconis

    Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

    [*Deep breath]

    As I understand it (and please bear in mind before you take my advice that I have to pay someone to do this stuff for me because, generally, I so don't understand it) students don't have to pay income tax if they're in full time work and earn below a certain threshhold in a year. Don't ask me what the threshhold is, your tax office will know. It sounds as though your employer and tax office between them are actually taxing you on the normal PAYE (pay as you earn) just like proper grown up people who work for a living (sorry couldn't resist the student wind up). This means you get a tax-free allowance, probably about £3500 per year or £291 per month, and pay tax on the rest of your wages, plus national insurance on it all. You need to contact your tax office and tell them how many hours a week you are in education, ask them if they count that as full time and if so can they send you a P38 to fill in so that they can stop taking money out of your wages. As for what you've already paid, you're quite right that HMRC should give you a rebate once you've filled in all the paperwork. I don't know where you work but if they have a personnel/HR department start by asking them to sort it for you. Some companies will, some will make you do it:mad: .

    If there are any accountants out there who know better, please feel free to correct me!
  16. Jamie

    Jamie Member

    I'm a full time uni student, and in part-time work, and I pay tax, and not entitled to it back. I earn over the roughly £4000 threshold (how many h's in that?!) because I work so many hours over the summer, so I pay tax on what I earn over that threshold. They rob me during the summer, apparently because they expect me to keep earning at that rate, and then durng term time, I get it back gradually in my weekly wages with a mini rebate, as they realise that I'm not going to exceed their threshold by the thousands they expected! Thus at the end of the year, they've already sorted it all out, and I never have the joys of applying for a lump sum rebate.

    So as for your rebate, as long as you don't exceed the threshold set by your tax code and all the rest of it, you should be entitled to all of your tax back. If you do exceed it, student or otherwise, they'll tax you for what you earn over that limit in the normal PAYE fashion. As for whether you get a nice big sum at the end of it if you are entitled to a rebate, or you get it back like I do, in the shape of about a fiver a week, is a strange unexplainable phenomenon! Tried phoning the Inland Revenue for answers once, but didn't find it too helpful... was left thoroughly confused!
  17. sugarandspice

    sugarandspice Active Member

    I got my tax back today! :)

    And i didnt even have to ask for it really, they sent me a check refunding all the tax that was stated on my P60 automatically. Wa-hoo :)

    I feel the need to buy some shoes! :)

Share This Page