Tam Tam

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Power Tooba, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Power Tooba

Power Tooba Member

I'm looking at buying a Tam Tam to add to our percussion collection.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on what would be a good / bad buy? Our percussionists have only ever played a 32" Paiste which they liked but they're not cheap, and cost is an issue for us.

Has anyone any experience of Stagg ones? I found this which is considerably cheaper, http://www.thomann.de/gb/stagg_ttg32_gong.htm but i wonder wether they just aren't up to the job?

Are there any shops that have a few lined up which our perc. boys can have a play with?

Any thoughts welcome.

2. Andrew, old adage, you get what you pay for. In my humble opinion a Paiste is the only decent option. We have a percussion plus one and in all honesty it is poor in comparison, sounds like a dinner gong! If you can wait and save and get a Paiste 36" or 38" then do so, you will be glad you did.
  3. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I am very expensive...........sorry, couldn't resist that!! I agree with above post though!!
  4. JoeDrumTech

JoeDrumTech New Member

I agree, Paiste are probably the best ones to go for, other companies like Sabian and Zildjian do good ones too but are more expensive.

I recommend the 34" or 36" ones. 34" is more responsive and easier to warm up.
  5. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

paiste is the better option in my opinion, though i'd opt for a 36" than anything smaller.
  6. Power Tooba

Power Tooba Member

Thanks very much for the comments. I'll go back to our pot bashers with the thoughts!

7. Ali Woodman

Ali Woodman New Member

Paiste is the only option in my opinion, the other makes don't even come close. If you can afford it go for a 36 inch, and definately not smaller than 32 inch. Also make sure you budget for a case/bag.

You should also consider which stand your perc guys need. The high round stands are great and allow for the Tam Tam to be raised up (looks good from an audience perspective), the lower more traditional stands take up less space and are great if you have youngsters or short perc players.

I actually prefer the the short stands as you have more control over damping.
  8. adamcable

adamcable New Member

We're also looking at purchasing a TamTam and stand.
    Can anyone pass over a link for a company that sells something suitable please?

9. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Same here - funny how we all want one now that nearly all the regional test pieces need them.

Any suggestions welcome
  10. Power Tooba

Power Tooba Member

Well, the band i'm buying for is a wind band **ducks for cover on brass band forum** so we don't play the test piece, but a lot more of our music recently seems to need one - but the decent ones are just so expensive!
  11. Ali Woodman

Ali Woodman New Member

These guys will get you anything. The Le Blond hard cases are cheaper normally than the 'gig bag' type cases, but very good and will stop any damage.