Tam O'Shanter

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Jan 10, 2005.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Tam O-shanter

Hiya,

Was just wondering what peoples opinions are on the 3rd section test piece for the areas? We started playing it at band last week!

I can't exactly say I enjoyed it, but it might (thats a big might!) grow on me!

Fi
    xx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tam O'Shanter
    Tam O-shanter
    Hiya
    Fixx
    section test piece
  3. gorgeous_si

gorgeous_si New Member

I quite like Tam. It tells the story quite well, and it has quite a nice tune, but I do think it is quite a challenge for the 3rd section. My part (2nd Trom) is pretty easy (by comparison), but the cornets get quite a workout!

I think the biggest challenge is the intertwining of the themes to take it from its separate lines into one flowing piece.

4. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

It's a technically demanding piece for 3rd section bands, and it's also a piece where the conductor has to earn his crust. There's a lot of different themes to pick out, and it's very easy to make it sound mushy in places. Add to that the problem of connecting the music to the story and hey presto, we have a very good area test piece. Have to say i'm looking forward to it's challenges and it seems to have put my band on it's toes, which can only be good.

5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Tam is wicked! Wish I was playing it!!

6. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

I love it! Great piece. An awesome flugel part. Very nice melodies and great accompaniments! What more could you want?! :) Its a good test and will be interesting to see different interpretations at the areas!

7. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Tam is a great piece, exremely challanging and musical. An excellent choice and at the end of the day all the 3rd section bands are in the same boat. It is difficult but should make for a good day at the areas.

And Lauradoll, come back to Fife and you can play with TR again

Dave

8. Bones

Bones Member

I'm doing one of these conductors workshops on the 16th and I've had a look through all the test pieces with the exception of the 4th section. But I think Tam is a cracking piece, full of interest for all parts, the trombone line is particularly good. But a stiff test for 3rd section. Much more fun to play than Rienzi though.

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Great piece of music but, in my opinion, too challenging a test for second section never mind third. I very much doubt if any third section band will get close to it at all. Look out for some low scoring winners in the third section this year.

10. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I really like it, it's a tricky but everyone is in the same boat! As dear little sister likes to says...."if it wasn't challenging it wouldn't be a test piece"
    Actually enjoying practising it, although not sure that can be said for everybody! We can but try :)

11. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Whilst I agree in general that it is a very very difficult piece for 3rd section level, I would not put it past a minority of bands in the section who will make a good job of it. I think there is likely to be a big degree of separation between the top couple of bands and the rest of the section.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tam O'Shanter
    Tam O-shanter
    Hiya
    Fixx
    section test piece
  13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Perhaps that is why it was chosen. Could be that the organizers might want a clear winner in the section.

14. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Surely the desire to set a difficult test must be balanced against the realities of life for a third section band, many of whom struggle to fill seats at rehearsals. In general I applaud the test piece selection for this year; however this one does stick out a little as being maybe a step too far.

15. sparkling_quavers

possibly.

This is our first year in the 3rd section due to demotion and I am glad the piece is difficult. I for one would rather have a difficult test piece that the band needs to work at than something you can play note perfect on the first run through - where is the motivation going to come through in a situation like that?

I think Tam O Shanter is a great piece. If you take the time to read the description of the piece you can really hear the story in the music.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  16. lewis

lewis Member

tam

I took a rehearsal of tam just before christmas and it really is a nice piece, but as many of you have already commented it is going to be a real test for the third section, quite probably too much of a test for most. Having listened to it quite a lot and now rehe***** it as well I think the main problem is that the ending section seems to never end! (I think that makes sense). There is just endless notes for the cornets, I hope most bands have already started looking at it or it will definitely come as a shock!

Good luck to all attempting it.

17. sparkling_quavers

This is true for many bands at all levels though

18. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Love the peice, very difficult and challenging for third section though

19. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

if it wasnt going to challenge the bands then it wouldnt be a suitable test piece would it?, people would be saying its too easy.
    It is a stiff test but bands should relish this oppurtunity and it will certainly sort out the big boys.

20. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I think Tam is great piece to play and to listen to as well! When you know what the story is at each part of the piece, you get a better feel for it and it makes it more enjoyable to play overall!! I do agree it is tricky in places, but doesnt everybody want to test themselves and raise the overall standard of their band by playing harder pieces?!!

We've had a few blows thru since mid-dec, tho not sounding entirely like the cd yet!! but most folk have got the cd to listen to and with some work hopefully we'll have some sort of a performance to present come March!! (fingers crossed!!)

My welcome home gift for my sister after her year abroad was the 2nd cornet part, she better get practicing!!! :rolleyes:

21. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Tam O'Shanter as a fantastic piece of music, and is a good choice for the section. There are some tricky parts in it, but thats the whole point. I think the choice reflects the recent improvment in the standards of the bands in the lower sections.

Although it is difficult, I think the majority of bands will be able to place the dots, but like any other section, the winning bands will need to capture the atmosphere of the music, and the style, espesially the 8/8 sections.

It's got a fantastic soprano part in it though, really looking forward to it! :-D

22. very hard piece but i think its great.

the only thing is that i'm not really a bass trombone player i've only been playing it for a few months. but i'm loving the challenge and i'm getting there.