Tallis Variations...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornet.kid, Jul 13, 2004.

1. cornet.kid

cornet.kid Member

Does anyone know where i could get a recording "Tallis Variations"?
    Also it would be interesting to hear other peoples opinions on this testpiece
  2. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

It's a fantastic piece!! Nearly as good as the Vaughan Williams double string orchestra variations, I reckon - as long as you have a flugel player who likes heights! :wink:

Having played it a few times, I grew to love it very quickly - and it'll always remind me of tHB and Buxton - has Straightmute got his hearing back yet after I screamed down the phone at him, I wonder??

Rach x
  3. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

For a recording I'd recommend YBS playing it live from the Europeans in 2000. (It's on that year's Europeans CD or Kings of Europe)
  4. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Presumably you're talking about the Philip Sparke one (Is there any other :? :? :? )

You can get it from 4barsrest. It is the YBS triple CD. Highly recommended.
  5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

It's on the YBS "Kings of Europe" triple CD or the European Highlights 2000 CD, the same live version on both so have a look at the other tracks on the cd's and decide which one you like best!

Fabulous piece, especially the ending. Loved playing it.
  6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

7. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

What a piece of music!

I was at the Euros in Brum in 2000 and when I heard it for the first time, I wasn't too keen on it - but after buying the Euros CD I think its awesome!

Super playing by Ben Godfrey in the middle section of the piece. Have also been lucky enough to play it in Grand Shield last year.
  8. Bones

Bones Member

Agree the YBS CD is awesome.

Had the chance to play this piece at the Grand Shield in 2003 with Carlton Main. Thoroughly enjoyed the piece and the interpretation caught the ear of the judges straight away.

Once of the best pieces I have ever had the pleasure to play and one of the best contests I have ever done.

Great stuff.

9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

No doubt about it. One of his very best.
  10. Podgypickle

Podgypickle Member

One of my all time favourites. when played well it's truly magical!!
  11. cornetblower

cornetblower Member

Its a great piece. Loved playing it
  12. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I remember reading an interview with David King who talked about how moving it was to be rehearsing this beautiful music on Easter Morning. David King happy in his rehearsal room, a week before a contest, surely not :?:

The music is beautiful and YBS produced a fantastic performance at the Europeans. After my band had finished playing at the Senior Cup (and winning!!), I caught Scottish Co-ops performance of this work in the Shield and there was some really nice playing from them too. Angela Whelan was playing Flugel that day and sounded amazing.
  13. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Brilliant piece - have played it twice - once at the Europeans with Point of Ayr in 2000 and last year at the Grand Shield with BT - I really enjoyed rehearsing it.
  14. welshmike

welshmike Member

Alrite Gazza, couldnt aggree more, played it well on both occasions too if I remember well!! Dodgy rep playing tho (only kidding mate!)

Great piece, good to listen too and enjoyable to play!
  15. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

My band has played Tallis twice as our Own Choice at our Nationals and it was the test piece in 2001. It is a beautiful piece. The ending is supurb if you can pull it off. It also has a ripper of a sop part! Screaming around up in the gods and some beautiful quiet parts. It is awesome to play.
  16. McChambo

McChambo Member

Love it! We played it at the European in 2000 and gained 2nd in the set test. Chris Bradley's flugel playing was just outstanding. I remember McCann spending hours on the main theme near the start............. he even gave us the words! Worked a treat though.

Definitely Phillip Sparke's best piece IMO.