Tales of music and the brain...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MissRepiano, Jun 3, 2008.

1. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

Did anyone watch BBC1 just now? The programme they showed was truely fascinating. It was all about how music affects the brain, and how it can help people with conditions such as learning difficulties and terrets.

There was also a man who is obsessed with music...to the point that it broke up his marriage, and a woman who hears music a noise (kinda like a musical colour-blindness).

It's well worth a watch on i-player. Best thing i've watched for ages. :clap:
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

. . . must sit next to the bass trombone :eek: ;) :oops:

Seriously though, I caught most of the programme and it was very interesting, not least the blind pianist who can copy anything that is played to him, and not in a manner that seemed in any way mechanical either.
  3. six pints

six pints Active Member

I cannae find it on iplayer?!
  4. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

here's a link....you've got 4 days left to watch it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/i...rt=1&scope=iplayersearch&version_pid=b00byhfc

And no his playing didn't appear mechanical but there I have seen him feature in a seperate programme where they did tests, asking him to playing something happy, sad and angry. He played happy and sad things by simply making the key minor for sad music. To play angry music he played the same thing he used to describe happy music, except he shouted "rargh rargh rargh rargh" at the same time!
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  5. six pints

six pints Active Member

6. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

What a fascinating documentary! :clap:
  7. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

It is now too late for me to see the blind player, just to find out if it is the same one perhaps. However I know a blind piano and keyboard player who plays exactly that way but a bit better, and does quite a bit of improvisation as well. After all, how else can a blind person play any musical instrument other than by listening to the piece first. They can't read printed music, and as far as I know, although music is available in brail, a pianist is going to find "feel reading" as opposed to "sight reading" at any speed a bit difficult.