Take it on the chin?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Alyn James, May 21, 2008.

1. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Oberoesterreich are unhappy following the Europeans whilst Newbridge Celynen have "taken it on the chin" after a tough week at the Spring Festival and the Tredegar contest (see relevant threads).

Three youth bands entered the Junior Section at the Tredegar contest and all received a Gold Award. GREAT!! NOBODY LOST!! :rolleyes:

But isn't an ability to handle setbacks an important life skill?

Don't youngsters need to learn how to take it on the chin?
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Why pick on the youngsters? A lot of the disgruntled post-contest comments made on here recently and the letter printed on 4br on behalf of BB Oberoesterreich have been from adults...........
  3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Prehaps so, but this doesn't happen at EVERY contest.

I play for Camborne Youth Band, and we've been lucky enough to win the National Youth Championships for the last 5 years, as well as various other competitions during that time period.

On the recent trp to Manchester, one of the younger members of the bands said to me 'I've never lost a contest'.

And she was right-since she joined, we had won all the contests that we'd taken part in.

I was shocked. I've played for this band for ten years.....the first 5 of them? Out of maybe 20 contests, we won one. ONE. And I was younger then than I am now.

Most youth contests still do the '1st-92 points, 2nd, 91 points' thing.

The whole 'Gold, silver, bronze' award system is great in my opinion. It still tells your band how well you performed.

If you say, theoretically, that the adjudicatos award points in their head, which then translates into Gold etc, it may go something like this:

80-100 pnts : GOLD
    60-79 pnys : SILVER
    0-59 : BRONZE

Most people will have been to a contest, come 3rd/4th/5th and been relativly happy with the result, until they realise that the band that came 'just' in front of them actually beat them by 6 points.

How depressing is that?

The gold etc system is brilliant for the young brass banders-it provides a nice 'warm-up' into 'adult' banding.

There's so mauch talk at the moment of declining numbers of bands, and partly it has to be put down the there being less youngsters involved in the movement.

Let's not disillusion them from the start, shall we? It's pointless putting them off. As they grow up, they'll move into higher level banding. Many will start at youth level, then enter 4th section, then 3rd and move their way up.

Kids aren't stupid, they know how it is. You win some, you lose some.

But they're still kids. Don't expect them to have to deal with 'adult issues' right from the start.
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Yes it is. I've always believed this. There are important lessons to be learned in defeat. My brother in law always lets his son win whenever they play any games or sports. Result is that when he plays against other kids and doesn't win he ends up in tears and a tantrum because he "should always win". How would anyone ever strive to improve if they were always allowed to win.
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I don't think the original post picks on youngsters. It merely highlights the fact that as youngsters they never lose at certain contests, then it comes as a big shock to them in the real world when the inevitable happens.
  6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Oops! Yes I think you're right! Sorry! :oops:
  7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Don't know if this is really relevant in the debate, but can someone please define the definition of 'losing'.

Is coming last the same as losing?
    Is not coming first the same as losing?

To be quite honest, i can't remember anyone being told they lost in banding. I've just heard, runner up, 3rd 4th...etc and then came last. How do you lose?

On the subject of the Gold Silver Bronze idea, i think for youth contests, it is a brilliant idea, as long as they announce 1st, 2nd, 3rd. If not, then no.

Although, if a band 'loses' when you are young, at least the shock won't happen again because you know what it feels like. It is vital these things happen so you can learn.
  8. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

I think it would be good for youth contests to, as you say 'take it by the chin', as you want younger 'banders' get used to the sometimes harsh reality of contesting. Obviously you are never pleased with a bad result but getting used to it is better than not at all. As I am quite young I would like to know exactly where I came whether its 1st or 15th rather than the Gold, Silver, Bronze awards. Plus there is never a winner as many bands can get the gold award which takes away the object of contesting.
  9. tubajo

tubajo New Member

I conduct a very young youth band and we contest a few times a year. I really do believe that we should go to these contests for the experience of contesting, to hear other youth bands play (a chance for kids, parents and myself to hear what others are up to and the standards it's possible to achieve), and because we shouldn't wait until some mythical time when we're "good enough" to think about winning. At the moment my players are mostly really young and inexperienced (for example, our 2nd euph is 6 yrs old) and we know we're unlikely to win things because we're just not playing at the standard of older and more established bands yet. It probably sounds cheesy, but I tell the band every time that it doesn't matter whether we win or not as long as we are happy with the way we played (and so far they've done us all really proud).
    I don't see the point of hammering home the point that we didn't win - it's enough for most kids to watch someone else's band win, celebrate noisily and receive the trophies - and then be able to applaud them enthusiastically. At the recent National Youth Championships the hall was packed for the Junior results, and every person in the room applauded the winning band, no matter which band they were with. Surely that's better than the backbiting and muttering you get at lots of adult band contests when the winners are announced?
  10. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

European and Open successes aside, we've had to take it on the chin so often at Cory that a few of us have developed additional chins to cope with the high volume of chin-ward traffic.

Dealing with failure, as dealing with success, only develops with practice, but do we need to expose the sensitive roots of our movement to the bitter chill of failure?

These days, any organisation that can summon up a competing youth band should be showered with gold awards.
  11. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

A gardening analogy!....that's a change from football!!:D

How do we judge when our young shoots are ready to withstand a cold snap? Is it better for them to experience a chill while we're on hand to slap on the cloches if it gets too frosty?

( NICE ONE MMMMAAAANNNN UUUUU!!!!!!!!!!! ):clap: :clap: :clap: