Ta ta, Richie

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/4204544.stm

One sports commentator who'll be truly missed. I'm not a cricket nut, but it just won't be the same without him. Rarely included in sporting commentators' gaffes as far as I can recall. He generally only says what needs saying rather than intruding on the action like most sports commentators of today.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    sports commentator
    same
    sports commentators
    Richie
    url
  3. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Cricket wont be the same!! Ive watched nearly all of the tests constantly this summer and hes made it even more exciting by his commentary.

4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

i'll miss his distinctive voice

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It will be rather ironic if his last commentary is to cover the loss of the Ashes ;)

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

It's in the air......

7. Will the Sec

.....but safe!

8. Steve

Steve Active Member

One of the gents of commentary, how many times have you seen his face beneath a scandal headline on the front page of the tabloids?!?!?!?!?!

Gonna miss his commentary, and his character

9. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I get the feeling that he was pushed out rather than going willingly.
    Channel 4, and to a certain extent TMS are recruting recently retired professionals along the lines of Michael Atherton (C4), Michael Slater (C4), Alec Stewart (BBC R5) and Angus Fraser (BBC TMS). The sports media bosses see that younger ex-pros will encourage audience figures rather than the older, out-dated and old-fashioned pros like Benaud and Henry Bloefeld. With Cricket, I have to admit, the aforementioned 'youngsters' are on the whole good broadcasters.
    BBC TV Sport have fallen massively into a trap of recruiting young ex-pros and some of their sports coverage is dire because of it. Casing points are Sally Gunnell's trackside interviews in Athletics. She's like the David Frost of sport with some of her questioning, and her interviews would be a lot shorter if she didn't say "I mean" at least twice every question. With Football and their Score programme on Saturdays, the 4 experts look really stupid when they are commenting on a match and suddenly stop, because something happens on their screens.
    Back onto topic, I think there will probably be a lot more to come from Richie. Although he will take time out, I wouldn't be surprised if becomes a regular columnist in one of the daily papers, so whilst we may miss his style of commentary, we will still be able to read his views on the game.

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Although I'm not a big fan of cricket this is another departure of a "voice of the sport". Just like Murray Walker (Motor Racing) Ted Lowe (Snooker) Richie Benaud has a voice that seems to fit perfectly with the sport he commentates on.

Sad, but I guess things move on...

As Will said it might be ironic if his last commentary is "England take the Ashes" or somesuch...:D

(fingers crossed)

11. tedmundo

tedmundo Member

Not only the voice - the substance and the experience;
    I'd put Benaud (cricket) up with the late Henry Longhurst (golf).

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    sports commentator
    same
    sports commentators
    Richie
    url
  13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Only just read this, can't believe he's going, I will be a sad Twigge when this summers cricket is over (hopefully a happy sad Twigge if we win!)
    Don't let Blowers go too, he's the best!

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

One thing's for sure, whether England or Australia take the Ashes, you can bank on Richie Benaud to come across as totally unbiased and just commentate on what happens, something our football commentators could learn from.

15. Will the Sec

I'd say not. He said several years ago, when it looked like Sky would get the exclusive deal, that he would no longer work on TV if it wasn't 'free to air'. As Channel 4 unexpectedly won the deal, Richie switched from BBC to C4.

He has again said, quite pointedly, he will not work for Sky as it is not 'free to air'.

Reports vary as to how much Sky offered him, but he would have been the best paid of their commentators.

I've got nothing against the younger presenters, as it is not a sin to have different styles, but only Richie could say

"It's in the air... ... ... ... ... ... ..."

16. Will the Sec

"and out!"

17. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

For superb unbiased commentary Richie sits alongside giants like Bill McLaren (rugby union), Peter Alliss (golf) and John Madden (American football). All fantastically knowledgeable enthusiasts for their respective sports and all unbiased to the last.

Here's hoping we hear from Richie again before too long.