Symphonic Suite from Mary Poppins

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Apr 21, 2005.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I see that the new Whitburn CD includes a symphonic suite from Mary Poppins. Does anyone (perhaps from Whitburn) know if this is a suite taken from the 1964 film or from the current London stage show, which includes lots of new songs and music? Thanks.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Whitburn CD
    Whitburn
    London
    Mary Poppins
    Symphonic Suite
  3. Richard Dyson

Richard Dyson Member

Hi James,

I played on the recording and it seems to be the traditional favourites from the older production. Where did you see the contents of the CD?

Richard

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It's on the World of Brass website, and also in the Spring Update catalogue that arrived in the post today ;)

5. Richard Dyson

Richard Dyson Member

I'd recommend it as a purchase. The music is fairly light but it sounds great.

6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

As someone else has already said, it's in the World of Brass catalogue. So, no numbers like Practically Perfect, Brimstone and Treacle or Precision and Order, then? A pity. The new numbers are fantastic.

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

According to IMP/Warner sleve notes to 2005-2006 sample CD this piece was published to celebrate the 40th anniversay of the film - includes Chimi-CHim-Cheree, Super etc, Spoonful of Sugar and Feed the Birds - plus part of the overture I think.

Just seen another thread on here - also includes Lets Go Fly a Kite and Sister Sufragette.

8. McChambo

McChambo Member

'Let's go fly a kite' is the best section by a mile!!!! It's worth forking out the money just to hear this alone. Highly recommended.

9. persins

persins Member

I bet you would say that, having been on the recording. ;) I'll have to look out for it.

I'll jump on the band wagon (see what I did there) and just mention that SWT Woodfalls will have a CD coming out soon too which may also be worth a look!!!!

10. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments on 'Mary Poppins'.

I commissioned Andy Duncan on behalf of IMP/Warner to make the arrangement to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the Disney film and also the new West End musical by Cameron Mackintosh. The songs included are Cim Chim Cher-ee, Feed the Birds, Let's Go Fly A Kite, A Spoonful of Sugar, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and Sister Suffragette with a newly written 'overture' at the beginning. These are all melodies from the original film that are also included in the stage show. We chose these as they had a connection to both.

I know that Andy is particularly pleased with the arrangement as are we at Warners. We hope that this is something that everybody else will enjoy as well. I'd welcome any more comments on this and other titles in the IMP/Warner series by PM if anybody has any they would like to make.