Symphonic dances from West Side Story

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Eziachco, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Eziachco

Eziachco New Member

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if someone has already played the arrangement of West Side Story by Eric Crees ? I'd like to know if it's an arrangement of the "Symphonic dances from West Side Story" or if it's a medley made by Eric Crees.
    Thanks for your help.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    West Side Story Hi
    West Side Story
    Eric Crees.Thanks
    Eric Crees
    arrangement of West
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Includes :
    1. Prologue
    2. Mambo ( with Cha cha end)
    3. Cool
    4. Somewhere

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

It's an abridged version of the arrangement he did for the PJBE. There's no America or Something's Coming in the band version. I suspect he made the cuts so it could be accommodated more easily in a standard band concert.

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I didn't think "America" featured in the original "Symphonic Dances ... " by Leonard Bernstein ... ??? Or am I misunderstanding the original question?

6. I always thought the version Fodens recorded included America?

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

When Eric Crees recorded the suite with London Symphony Brass, he chose these sections ... 1. Prologue 2. Something's Coming 3. Mambo 4. Maria - Cha -Cha 5. Scherzo 6. America 7. Cool - Fugue 8. Somewhere

8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

So presumably the answer to the OP's question is, no, the Eric Crees version of WSS is not an arrangement of the "Symphonic Dances from WSS" ...

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Correct, as Bernstein only scored the suite with the following sections ... 1. Prologue 2. Somewhere 3. Scherzo 4. Mambo 5. Cha-Cha 6. Meeting Scene 7. Cool - Fugue 8. Rumble 9. Finale

10. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

That is correct.

11. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The piece I was referring to is called 'Suite from West Side Story', arranged by Eric Crees, copyrighted by Amberson Holdings and distributed by Studio Music. It consists of the Prologue, Mambo, Cha-Cha, Cool and Somewhere. This (as far as I can hear) is a cut down version of the Suite, arranged and conducted by Crees, recorded by PJBE many years ago on the Argo label which also included America and Something's Coming. Whether or not this latter suite is the same as the Symphonic Dances, I don't know.

Confused? I know I am.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    West Side Story Hi
    West Side Story
    Eric Crees.Thanks
    Eric Crees
    arrangement of West
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's been a few years since I've played the band version (manuscript btw) but there were cuts in the score to shorten it for contest purposes. However, it's not the same as Bernstein conceived it.