Swinton and District Excelsior Band, North of England, 4th Section.

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by catherine_S, Sep 19, 2006.

1. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Soprano vacancy -North Yorkshire

Edit: For current vacancies and contact details see most recent posts

Swinton & District Excelsior Band (currently third section) have a vacancy for a soprano cornet player which we would like to fill quickly (Malton brass is all too soon!) We're a friendly lot and while we don't do more than two or three contests a year, we're always busy!

If you would like to know more have a look at our website www.swinton-band.org.uk or contact Dorothy Ratcliffe (Dorothy.Ratcliffe@btinternet.com)

Other players always welcome - especially cornet players!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  2. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Swinton Band - Vacancies

Edit: Check latest posts for current vacancies

Sadly, Kevin is having to leave us (owing to his inability to work 30 hours, 8 days per week!) so we are in need of a new bandmaster. Swinton & District Excelsior Band are a fourth section village band keen to improve their playing on and off the contest stage. We have a lot of youngsters in the band and are a friendly bunch. Band practices are Mondays and Wednesdays and we have a busy summer programme. For more details, see our website www.swinton-band.org.uk or contact the band secretary Dorothy.Ratcliffe@btinternet.com

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2007
  3. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Just as we thought we might possibly have got sorted, we're back to the drawing board again:( So we are once again looking for someone to take on our village band. We do one or two contests a year but the majority of our playing is done at church fetes, village hall concerts etc. Most of our players are of school age (though some of us are not!) and are all keen to improve our playing while enjoying the social side of banding. If you are interested please contact the band secretary Dorothy.Ratcliffe@btinternet.com

4. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Cornets needed - Swinton Band

As a result of players leaving for university and on health grounds we are really short on front and back row cornets. We have a young band (on the whole - there are a few ancient monsters like me!) and we could really do with one or two experienced and supportive players to provide help and power to a relatively inexperienced section.

We are a fourth section village band located between York and Scarborough. While we do two or three contests a year, our main emphasis is on earning our keep with concerts, garden fetes etc. (We don't have subs, so earning our keep is vital!)

Practices are at 7.30 on Mondays and Wednesdays at the bandroom in Swinton village.

For more info see our website www.swinton-band.org.uk or contact our secretary Dorothy Ratcliffe on 01653 694344 or just come along to a practice!

5. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Swinton are looking for an M.D. to take us through our busy summer season. We have a full programme planned for May, June and July but take a break in August, then it's Hardraw and Malton Contests before December carolling sets in. If you'd like to conduct our enthusiastic 4th section band please contact Dorothy Ratcliffe as soon as may be, or just come and meet us at a band practice.

We are also looking for front and back row cornets and a second Euph.

6. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

If you fancy a move or just want to get back into banding after a break....I'd give this lot a go. I will be taking the band to this year's area contest and rehearsals are going well. There is a great atmosphere within the band and a super mix of youth and experience.

To complete the line-up for the contest (4th Section North of England Region - 29th March) the band requires the services of a 2nd Euphonium. (This position would suit any aspiring young euph star or an experienced player wanting to pass on some knowledge.)

Also required for the contest - a front row cornet player - the current front row (all young ladies) would benefit from the addition of someone with playing experience - any former higher level players fancying a bit of a blow in March would be extremely welcome - ambitious back row players wanting that first taste of the solo line?

If you're interested in either position - or know someone who might be - feel free to PM me and have a chat.

Go on - you know you want to.....

Sud.

7. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Front row vacancy sorted.

We still require (for this year's area contest - 29th March) a 2nd Euph and a competent back row player (top 2nd cornet ideally).

Any players in local non-contesting bands who fancy a go would be very welcome. (Only a short term commitment required - and, you never know - you might enjoy it.)

Our rehearsals are aimed at getting the most enjoyment out of making music. If you've endured torrents of bluster from MD's in the past....that don't happen here....my focus is on encouragement and tuition.

Go on - you know you want to.

Sud.

8. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

You wouldn't be using that as a selling point now, would you Nige?

Seriously though, these guys started me off on my banding journey and they're a top bunch.

Friendly, enthusiastic and they enjoy music for the sake of music.

9. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Urgent!

We really need some players for the Northen Area contest. We need a percussionist (kit), a second cornet and a second Euph. In the longer term we need any/all the above plus a front row player and a musical director! HELP!!

10. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Swinton and District Excelsior Band, North of England, 4th Section - Urgently require

Urgently required for the forthcoming North of England Regional Contest (29th March) the following players.....

Top 2nd Cornet - Ideally, an experienced player.

2nd Euphonium - Our Solo Euph already has it nailed - but she could do with some support.

3rd Percussionist (Side Drum) - Ideally someone with some experience.

We are a very friendly band, based just outside Malton, North Yorkshire.
    We will be going to the contest regardless of the odd gap, but it would really help if we could fill them.

If you currently play for a local non-contesting band (or SA) and would just like the experience of an area contest without having to commit on a long term basis, we would be very happy to hear from you.

Go on - you know you want to!!!

Sud.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano
    North Yorkshire
    Malton
    Dorothy Ratcliffe
    Swinton
  12. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Based near the North Yorkshire town of Malton, the Swinton and District Excelsior Band require the services of a competent front row cornet player.

Ideally to sit as bumper-up, this position would suit an enthusiastic young player or an experienced higher section player wishing to pass on their experience.

The band has an extremely friendly bandroom atmosphere under their newly appointed MD (that would be me then) with well attended rehearsals. We rehearse on Mondays and Wednesdays (7.30pm - 9.30pm) in our own bandroom in the village of Swinton, approximately 2 miles east of Malton.

We are looking for a suitably talented individual with a good level of drive and commitment to complete the band's line-up as we move onwards and upwards.

As MD, I'm an amiable sort with a policy of encouragement and tuition...there will be no shouting or bluster from me (just in case you've had to endure such things in the past).

If you're interested check out the band's website ( http://www.swinton-band.org.uk ) and come along and have a blow.

Go on...you know you want to!!!

Sud.

13. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Still looking for that elusive 2nd Euphonium player! We have a great piece of music to prepare for this year's regionals and our beautiful and talented solo euph is in need of a partner.

Rehearsals are Monday and Wednesday 7.30 - 9.30 in our own bandroom in the village of Swinton near Malton, North Yorkshire. We maintain an enjoyable and enthusiastic atmosphere, and my policy of encouragement and tuition continues.

If you're interested pm me or check out the band's website ( http://www.swinton-band.org.uk ) and come along and have a blow.

Go on...you know you want to!!

Sud.

14. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Still looking for that elusive 2nd Euphonium player! We have a great piece of music to prepare for this year's regionals and our beautiful and talented solo euph is in need of a partner. We can shuffle one of our extremely versatile players, so we are looking for either a 2nd Euph or BBb Bass ASAP.

Rehearsals are Monday and Wednesday 7.30 - 9.30 in our own bandroom in the village of Swinton near Malton, North Yorkshire. We maintain an enjoyable and enthusiastic atmosphere, and my policy of encouragement and tuition continues.

If you're interested pm me or check out the band's website ( http://www.swinton-band.org.uk ) and come along and have a blow.

Go on...you know you want to!!

Sud.