Sweet Georgia Brown

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, May 11, 2007.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Ok, folks, you know the middle section, marked "Move!"?

Does anyone think Goff Richards meant the crotchet of the new tempo equaling the minim of the old tempo, making it beat = beat?

To me, as well as being more musical, this makes more sense at the sign, when the 2/4 bar takes you back to the original tune, and where there is no indication of Crotchet should now = the minim.

With bands trying to play it far quicker in the Move! section, taking the tempo up into the stratosphere, it sounds awful - even on a recording I've heard by a well respected top section band.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Oscar Perterson "The London Concert" 1978 on the "Pablo" label. Thats how it goes Will, thats how it goes.
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Is he playing the Goff (Gough?) Richards' arrangement Andrew? I don't know as I haven't heard that recording unfortunately.

To answer Will's question from my own limited knowledge, I'd say the fact he's written "move!" on the parts is fairly self-explanatory. But I agree that it does sound very odd when you DC back to the original tempo.
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Having thought about it I think it's "move!" as in "don't drag!"...
  5. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

No its not Gough richards, its Oscars own arrangement, but its ****** good, taken at an inhuman tempo, I cant imagine it played any other way.

Regarding the "move" marking. Brass bands just love to slow down at the very earliest opportunity, I dread seeing a piece marked at anything less than "moderato" on Brass Band gig, because its usually got lots of rits, ralls and pauses and that is usualy a signal for the MD to chuck the anchor over board. I sometimes expect the piece to start going backwards. So, yes I am in favour of the "move" marking preferably every eight bars!