Sweeney Todd - Movie Score

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by HaleStorm, Mar 23, 2009.

1. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Does anybody know of any arrangements of the music from this fantastic film that are avaliable/Being worked on?
  2. Pedge

Pedge New Member

I know the vocal/piano score for the stage version *USED TO* be available through Bank's in York, which might be a good starting point, or indeed as far as you need to go ifyou know a good arranger
  3. Ali.Syme

Ali.Syme Member

I could arrange some specific pieces if you like - I have access to a kind of primitive pit band score...

Ciao for now!
  4. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Great minds think alike. I was actually thinking exactly the same the other day after finishing the film. There's probably some old arrangements of the original musical score, but they're probably a little 'sound of music - esque". The thing I loved about the music for the film was how well the dark accompaniments fit with some beautiful melodic lines (the 'birdie song' - excuse the analogy - is a good example, and 'nothing's gonna harm you').

And some of the chorus and duet stuff such as the barbers shave off could work amazingly if done with care.

I think it'd be a mammoth task to do it justice though. Would need pretty talented arranger.
  5. Pedge

Pedge New Member

The stuff in the stage version is, if anything, more dramatic. they had to tone a lot of it down for the film due to the more intimate nature, being able to get the camera close into the action and all that. one word of advice for anyone looking at this is that sondheim's stuff is usually a lot more complex than you realise, certainly from a vocalist's point of view its very easy to get lost if you dont know a piece very well.
  6. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Even some arrangements of just one or 2 of the songs would be a good start, perhaps "a little priest" or indeed the shaving duet
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Not forgetting that arranging this would require copyright permission...
  8. leighbaker.co.uk

leighbaker.co.uk New Member

Hi Folks

I have permission (license from Faber) to arrange the Opening Credits.

The Vocal score is nothing like the soundtrack opening so unless there is another version (anyone?!) it looks like i'll have to do some CD to piano bashing!

Will take ages though!

9. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

get the dvd and just watch the opening over and over again, or buy the soundtrack CD which will have it as track
  10. Pedge

Pedge New Member

Which version of the vocal score do you have? if its the film tie in version you might be out of luck but if you have access to a stage version, then the song you want is the ballad of sweeney todd, which was used as an instrumental opening for the film