"Sussex By The Sea"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jobriant, May 25, 2004.

1. jobriant

jobriant Member

I assume that at some time or other, "Sussex by the Sea" by W. Ward-Higgs has been published in an arrangement for Brass Band. Can anyone tell me when, and by what publisher? I'd like to get a copy for the library of The Pacific Brass...

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

This music is available from JUST MUSIC in Scotland and retails at £11.00. It can be ordered on-line from their website:

Web site: http://www.justmusicuk.com/

Just Music
    246 Auldhouse Road, EAST KILBRIDE, G75 9DX, Scotland
    Telephone 01355 - 245674 or International +44 1355 245674
    Fax. 01355 - 231020 or International +44 1355 231020

E-mail: just.music.scotland@zetnet.co.uk

3. jobriant

jobriant Member

Thank you!

Thanks, Roger, for that info. I've ordered it.

Incidentally, to the person whose reply (now vanished from this thread) ask why in the world we'd want to play "Sussex By The Sea" ...

I can understand that if you lived in Sussex and have played it a zillion times, you might get tired of it. But this delightful marching song isn't widely known in the USA, and it will be great fun introducing it to our band and our audiences.
  4. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

I often played this on the march with my training band.

A lovely march, :) but everytime we played it it started to rain :(

Hope it doesn't have the same effect for you :wink:
  5. dave_cornet

dave_cornet New Member

i live in sussex and yes i have played it more times than i can remember but its a cracking piece
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Wow, I didn't know anyone born outside the county had ever heard of this march! Its a cracking piece but 15 years of playing it at almost every gig, and 10 times every bonfire night, kind of spoilt it for me! :(

For some reason best only known to my parents, I even know the words...

Now is the time for marching,
    Now let your hearts be gay
    Hark to the merry bugles
    Sounding along our way
    So let your voices ring, my friends
    And take the time from me
    And I’ll sing you a song as we march along
    Of Sussex by the sea.

For we’re the men from Sussex
    Sussex by the sea
    We plough and sow and reap and mow
    And useful men are we
    And when you go from Sussex
    Whoever you may be
    You may tell them all that we stand and fall
    For Sussex by the sea

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
    Good old Sussex by the sea
    You may tell them all that we stand or fall
    For Sussex by the sea

Up in the morning early
    Start at the break of day
    March till the evening shadows
    Tell us it’s time to stay
    We’re always moving on my friends
    So take the time from me
    And I’ll sing this song as we march along
    Of Sussex by the sea

For we're the men from Sussex...
  7. dave_cornet

dave_cornet New Member

alex, who do/did you play for here
  8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Brighton, Uckfield, Chichester.... and most of the others as a dep at some point or other! Who are you with ?
  9. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

As another Sussex man born and bred, like Accidental, I must have played this a zillion times.

If you haven't heard it before, check out sky sports on sunday - if they don't play it at Cardiff, I will be very surprised as it's played at all Brighton & Hove Albion home matches.

A recent B&HA programme had an extensive story on the history of this march - interstingly, it was played at matches years ago by the Haywards Heath Town Band (now Mid Sussex Brass). The current versions played at the ground are either one by a military band (Marines I recall) and the other is Mid Sussex Brass.

In a similar vein, at the West Ham play off semi final, we had a revival of something they used to do years ago there - a guy in hunting reds wacking our what they called the post horn gallop (it wasn't btw!) - apparently, the East Leyton Silver Band used to play that as the teams came out of the tunnel.

Matt - if your watching this thread - your boys wil get to hear it next season as Brighton move up a division and the cockney boys leave you standing!

Any other tMPers apart from MRSH & I going to Cardiff this weekend? I'll be the one in the claret & blue -Come on you Irons!