Sussex Based Bands

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by andywooler, Jul 13, 2006.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I know that there's a rep from most Sussex based bands on here:

As Folkestone will not happen this year, how about we arrange our own mini contest in Brighton on the Sunday ? (October 15th)
    There are plenty of schools that could accomodate at a reasonable rate for the small number we have here. (I can arrange this)
    One section, minimal rules, just a bit of fun to save wasting the rehearsal some will have already started.

(Matt, you know you want to!!)

Respond initially via this thread so we can see if there is any interest.
  2. Bungle

Bungle Member

Probably Cranbrook would be up for it, but we are short of a front row cornet. Or are you limiting it to Sussex so we don't play?
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Good idea Andy - just because a contest is cancelled it doesn't mean that bands can't pull together and put on an alternative. I'll 'sticky' this thread for you for a while to help you get the attention of other banders in your area.
  4. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Just Sussex bands?...
  5. andywooler

I suggested Sussex bands because I don't want to become a contest organiser of something big! (or to set up a beast which rivals Scaba in any way!).
  6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Certainly do, Andy. Great idea. Brighton & Hove would up for this.

Would have to think a little bit about rules and stuff but generally, yea, bring it on :clap::clap:
  7. Bungle

Bungle Member

Why rules? Open adjudicator, pre-draw, turn up and play, any size of band, any players, no separate sections, just a mark and comments at the end. There would be no relegation or promotion issues, so why not. Its the future ;)

Andy, just limit the number of bands you want entering so its not too big.
  8. andywooler

This has taken on a life of it's own quite quickly!

Re: where the bands come from - I'd like to defer answering that for a few days until we know what level of support from the local bands will be.

Re rules: My idea is there will be no rules - we all know each other and who plays for who - this should be an experiment in self policing!
    There will be no separate sections.

I now have an adjudicator on standby for this.

next question: what type of contest - own choice, entertainment, sight reading? (you all get a piece chosen by the adjudicator on the day!) or a combination of all three?
  9. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

:D You answer my question in your own post Bungle :biggrin:
  10. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

You could have a list of test pieces and then get Band A to choose a piece for Band B, Band B chooses for Band C and so on. Provided the pieces aren't top championship standard then you could have an interesting list.
  11. andywooler

that could be quite interesting!
  12. Bungle

Bungle Member

It's your contest (so it will be a choice of Pegasus Bridge, Ride of the Valkyries, Pomp and circumstance no 4 or a bridge too far - anything related to the Parachute regiment) ;)

Seriously, I would vote for hymn (from the red book) and own choice. The Hymn does help warm the band up and settle the nerves.
  13. andywooler

any more comments like that Bungle and you'll be for the high jump!

(you forgot the March Arnhem!);)
  14. Di

Di Active Member

I applaud you for trying to get this off the ground. If you're doing this so that people who have already started preparing having wasted their time, how about sticking to the same format? Create your own rules/no rules etc, but keep the contest format itself the same?
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

And "La Marche des parachutistes Belges" ;)
  16. andywooler

Indeed - a great march - is there a BB arrangement of it?
  17. andywooler

Current status of this idea:

2 bands so far confirmed, another 7 Sussex based have now been approached. As soon as I have responses from them, I will decide on opening this one up!

Format: as per Folkestone (Hymn tune and own choice)
    Adjudication: Open + possible additional adjudication for new people to gain some experience. (I have an adjudicator plus 1 trainee lined up)
    Sections: Just the one - we're all in this for the fun!
    Rules: Self policing, we know who you normally play for and where you live!!
    Prize money: None! But hope to have a suitable trophy.
    Costs: to be shared amongst the competing bands - unless there is a generous sponsor out there for whom I will prostitute the complete event to get your money!

This will be a one-off event - it's not intended to replace the existing Scaba event apart from for this one year only.

More to follow as this develops.
  18. andywooler

Things are beginning to look good on this event - we currently have 5 Sussex bands who have responded positively so I will now go full steam ahead to find a venue and chase up the other local bands.

Watch this space!!
  19. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

One of my favourites! :clap: I asked around for a BB version acouple of times, but haven't discovered any yet...

As usual, a couple of Belgian bands were also coming over to Folkstone for the contest. Maybe they also would like to take part in this replacement event? Take a look at the news item on 4BarsRest by Brass Band Heist: They already booked a hotel in Folkstone, and are now looking for something else to do... I'm sure that if you contact Bert Van Thienen, he can help you contacting the other Belgian bands that were coming over...
  20. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Andy - Any more news on this yet?