Susan Boyle/Britain's Got Talent

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Aurora771, May 27, 2009.

1. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Anyone else sick of the whole Britain's Got Talent/Susan Boyle nonsense? She can sing well, she's obviously not trained and the only reason she's in 'popular' is because everyone feels bad that they judged her. Hearing her sing doesn't exactly bring me to tears, like it does with Amanda... who I'm convinced is emotionally unstable. If Susan's last performance was the first time I had heard her I would be wondering what the fuss was all about...

Also, I'm so tired of singers in this show. Yes it's a talent show, and they have talent but go in for XFactor or something. Unless their main reason for entering is to sing infront of the Queen, then I guess that's okay. I like to see things I haven't seen before, and well the originality of the show is slipping to the somewhat ridiculous... Greek/Irish Dancing?!

Also, get Piers and Amanda off this show. They are so awful.

Okay... rant over :biggrin:
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ok, I'll bite, and ask the obvious question: why are you watching the programme if you hate so many things about it? ;)
  3. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Haha. Fair enough. I do avoid such shows normally. The hype around the whole thing, plus the fact I'd rather be doing anything rather than studying leads me to check out a few things on youtube.

I just noticed that it seems worse than all the other similar phone-in shows, and wondered what everyone else thought...
  4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

it makes my eyes bleed :)
  5. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Although the show doesn't air in the USA, the Susan Boyle nonsense is making plenty of news here (including TV) and a lot of the public are just as gullible.

I don't wish to be rude to Ms. Boyle but there's need for a reality check. Her singing may be pleasant but worthy of creating world news...? This sort of TV programming is succeeding in dumbing down to an alarming extent.
  6. themusicalrentboy

7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I agree. The first couple of bars are absolutely cringeworthy. It gets a bit better as it goes along but world class she definitely isn't.
  8. themusicalrentboy

watch the 12 year old lad - now HE is almost, almost on a par with a young Michael Jackson.
  9. 100% agree!
  10. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

You people, seriously. Have you ever watched something, didn't particularly like it and feel like commenting on it? Got to be so high-and-mighty all the time? *sigh*
  11. themusicalrentboy

I have to agree, there's always a sarcy/awkward comment to be had from this particular mod. This is a forum for debate, and comments such as the two above the one quoted stifle debate IMO.

Having said that, I caved in to peer pressure to watch the last BGT, and was so appalled at the flower arranging that I turned over. I was then given a link to the latest crime against music by Boyle and almost ended it all. The only saving grace was the young lad.
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

Oh. What stopped you?
  13. themusicalrentboy

the greater good, to fight the powers of... erm.... sarcastic/ dry comments???
  14. a couple of good mates of mine have got through to the semi finals (one last year and one this year) and after speaking to them it sound like its all mapped out whos going through to the final regardless of phone votes etc................
  15. themusicalrentboy

please excuse me while I faint due to shock
  16. fair comment......its not done with any subtlety i believe! i would say serves them right for going on it but there money has quadrupled since appearing on it! so i guess it cant be all bad
  17. sparkly

sparkly New Member

I don't usually watch any of these types of shows, but I have seen some of this year's semifinals. Susan Boyle's singing was what I would call pretty good "karaoke" standard. Maybe nerves let her down on the big day, but those first few bars were awful. I thought the venquilitrist was very good. In fact, he could sing pretty well, and much more consistently that Boyle without his mouth open! The young lad I thought was very good and also the 2 male dance groups. As for the fat bloke and his kid getting through, my god! Can't believe I am getting pulled in with this show LOL
  18. Talent or talentless, awful or great programme, good luck to anyone with the guts to prove or humiliate themselves on prime time television.

As I am from Port Talbot I would like to point out that Paul Potts has recently bought a house here for c£500k ,and is spending more doing it up ,and is driving around in a very acceptable piece of machinery!!
  19. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

ITV only give us this vile, useless guff because it's cheaper than actually providing a nice comedy or a drama. What happened to Cilla Black and Blind Date? I miss the good ol' days of decent programming on the telly of an evening - but we're not going to get it back as long as these ******** are in charge of our television companies.

Ridiculous! :ranting2:
  20. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

Hahahahahahaha!!! pmsl!!! :biggrin:
    I'd rather listen to old Boylee sing than Cilla - and that's saying something trust me.

I'm enjoying BGT for what it's worth. If you filter out the tripe like Boylee and others, and watch it for real 'talent' then it's actually great TV entertainment. No-one can deny the talent of Flawless or Diversity for example. Seriously talented people who deserve to get some exposure - even if it's only for their 15 minutes of fame.