Surprise package?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Most major football tournaments nowadays throw up a surprise team. After the first round of games, what do you reckon? Ecuador may surprise some, but maybe 'surprise' is too harsh. After all, they beat Brazil in qualifying and looked pretty comfortable against Poland.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ecuador
    Brazil
    Poland
    surprise team
    Surprise package
  3. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Not really any that'll stand out, I don't think. Maybe Japan.

4. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I'd say Saudi Arabia's first game comeback was a suprise, whether they can keep it up is another matter

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

I'm sure there's a reference to Pele there somewhere Roy - but as it's a family-friendly forum I won't mention it! ;)

6. Cornishwomble

:eek:

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Another good win today for Ecuador - meaning there's a very good chance now of Germany vs England in the last 16. Penalties anyone?

8. Cornishwomble

I watched Germany last night and Ecuador today and I think Ecuador are the better shout at the moment. Think Germany Vs Ecuador will be a good match

9. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Although I would say Ecuador have started the stronger, I think Germany will win. They won't want to play us more than we don't want to play them.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Not so much of a surprise team but the package ... huge enjoyment from the African Nation qualifiers. They have been improving so much during the last few years I'm wondering how long they will take to match the best in the World?

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Two pleasant surprises for me in today's games: first of all, Ghana playing so adventurously, and clearly enjoying their football, and then the USA taking the game to Italy as they did. I reckon they were unlucky not to snatch a win, even after the second sending off, which seemed a litle harsh to us.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ecuador
    Brazil
    Poland
    surprise team
    Surprise package
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... yeah, and we thought the England team were going to have to face the music in the press this week, imagine how the Italian press are gonna react after yesterdays shambles.

Me thinks they are in for a tough time this week.

14. japan
    korea
    ecuador
    ghana
    australia
    usa

those teams have shown they are no mugs and despite some results not going their way, they have certainly proved that they were worthy of being in the world cup

15. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

South Korea

16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Watched the Australia - Brazil match yesterday. The 2-0 scoreline was deeply flattering to Brazil, maybe Brazil were the better team, but only by a shade and a draw would've been a perfectly fair reflection of the teams. Australia worked hard, were well organised and generally made Brazil look pretty ordinary. If they continue to improve they could be a real one to watch come 2010.

Dammit. Another sport that the Aussies are good at. :rolleyes:

17. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

(Updated) ;)

18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I agree with both of the posts above Andy Moore's post...both Oz and South Korea looked very good indeed yesterday, and Ghana were brilliant the day before that in beating the Czechs.