Surname origins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ju33les, Feb 14, 2006.

1. ju33les

ju33les Member

Have a look at this site http://www.spatial-literacy.org/UCLnames/Surnames.aspx

If you enter your surname or any that you are interested in,it will show up the frequency of the surname around Britain, in 1998 and 1881.

Have a look at Davies..........they didn't venture far in 1881!!!!:D

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Interesting to find the Bales strong in the SouthWest, but not shown at all in the Bournemouth area where my father's (largish!) family are from.

Having said that, my Gran's family name of Bartlett is quite well represented, and I know my grandfather and his brother were actually born in Peru where their father was building the railway, so maybe they didn't arrive until a little later - have to investigate ;)

3. julestools

julestools Active Member

My family have not been big travellers either. Been on the same farm for over 110 years.

xx

Jules

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Mainly in south west.... but I knew that my surname (Cornish) "originated" in Credition, Devon anyway... good site though!

5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Taylor is mostly in North-East Scotland and hardly any in Cornwall in 1881 and it doesn't seem to have changed much in 1998! I'm not becoming a Scottishwomble!!

6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Found this a while back. Wish they'd hurry up with the Irish database, Hallihan doesn't show up at all. No suprises with my mother's family although my father's mothers family aren't where I expected them to be in 1881.
    BMB
    xx

7. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

Mine (Cook) is spread all over the place, although mainly on the East and South Coast, then by 1998, well it just filled out a bit really. My names really boring!

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Oddness :-? doesn't seem to want to recognise my surname. It goes to the much more common Hayton - even for 1998. I know there were at least 10 Hayto's around then from my immediate family and closer relations.

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Fro mthe Help pages mate:

You have a choice! Either get ninety people to change their surnames, or create more Haytos! ;)

No surprise for me to find that the most Williams' are in Wales!

10. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

My Courts family have always been Cornish!! (As far as records go anyway...) And the map agrees!! There seems to be a lot in Devon now according to this...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    surname
    :D
    Surname origins
    look
    site
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ah! It all becomes clear! But less than 100? I knew my surname was rare (if anyone is interested it is actually English, not far eastern as most people seem to think) but less than 100 rare? I'm surprised at that.

Its no wonder no-one can spell it...

13. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

There'll be only two instances of Elsom-Darchiashvili - and then only after the 30th September...

14. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I wasnt surprised to see that the majotity of foskett's are around the London area. ive traced my family back a fair distance and thats were i linked them to

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  15. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Quite suprised. Loadsa MAYs in Cornwall and Kent, a few in the top stickyout bit on the left hand side of Scotland. I'm from Lythmn St. Annes, good to see a stonghold of Mays in Lancashire. Looks like we travelled up North and Sown South... I moved across the Pennines!

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

anyone tried mohammed for 1998 yet? very suprising

17. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

There are 6 Twigges in every million - it's true what they say, we are a rare breed!
    Ranked 16321. Also the highest frequency is in Derby/Midlands which is where Daddio's family is from. INterestingly only 2% are Welsh - I feel honoured!

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting to see how the various names have spread further afield since the 1880s:
    My mum's family were Hindmarshes, formerly very closely linked with the Retford/Doncaster area, but now quite widespread.

Did a similar exercise with the Blairs: initially quite tightly packed in the West of Scotland, but now much more dispersed, with a few too many in the Westminster area ;)

19. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

If I've read it correct, I have the 4th most popular name and my mom's maiden name being number 1. Jones comes in at number 2.

20. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I find it even more surprising how little spread there has been for Davies (or indeed Rees) between 1881 and 1998 - the distribution geographically seems pretty much exactly the same, just with higher numbers everywhere, as would be expected due to population expansion.

21. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I was very surprised with the results of all my names! :redface:

Maiden name, Pickles - concentrated in North Yorkshire and the North West of England, but relatively small area.

1st Married Name - Meakin - concentrated in North Wales, the Midlands, but up into Scotland and down South.

Current Name (hehe like to be greedy) - Pratt (maybe not) - thought this would be a relatively unusual name but there's loads of us! As far north as the Scottish Islands and loads in the middle down to southern England. Well this has made me feel better! There's loads of Pratt's around. :biggrin:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    surname
    :D
    Surname origins
    look
    site