Supplied instrumentation

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by animal.22, Sep 28, 2012.

1. animal.22

animal.22 Member

I think it's about time all you huffers and puffers out there had to use supplied instruments on the contest stage!!!

All you can take on stage is your mouthpiece and your music.

Discuss ;) :clap:
  2. casanova

casanova Member

Makes sabotage all too easy.
  3. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Cop out!
  4. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Wot. No lucky pants ??!
  5. euph77

euph77 Member

Are we allowed to tune up before we play?! (or is that too much like an orchestra!?)
  6. chris.neufeld

chris.neufeld Member

Wouldn't work as (I presume) the premise assumes that every band has every seat filled. Contest rules typically state 25 players plus percussion, it is not specific as to where those players sit (i.e. your band may only have three basses but four trombones)
  7. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

And I bet at least 2 of those Bass players have 6 toes !!
  8. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Awful idea. Playing a different instrument that your not used to could be a nightmare and especially when the triggers are on different slides to your own. Also a slight hygiene issue maybe. what benefits will this have?
  9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Both of our bass players have 12 toes each!
  10. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Im starting to think its a minority that only have 10 !
  11. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Well, obviously in the time required to sterilize, tune and get used to the supplied hooters (not to mention putting the valves back in the correct places, replacing the corks in the water keys and draining the mysterious warm yellow liquid from the BBb bass 4th valve tubing) the boys and girls in the out-house assembly department will have time to bring in and set up all their own toys.

12. animal.22

animal.22 Member

It would rather blow the four minute rule out of the water wouldn't it. Getting used to an instrument is no excuse, shedies have to, why shouldn't you?

Lucky pants allowed by the way :clap:
  13. fsteers

fsteers Member

... effectively forcing players who are or become good enough to be sponsored, whose contracts require them to play their sponsor's instruments in public performances, out of banding.Now THAT would be a huge step forward for banding.
  14. simonium

simonium Member

Playing both brass and percussion I see it both ways - I have been saddled with some appalling percussive horrors that have hindered my playing. I still don't like waiting for them now I've moved into the light....
  15. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Now there's a thought!!:wow
  16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

You would then have the problem of "sponsored" events where you would all have to play on a certain brand for the day, regardless of the quality of that particular brand.

Much as I can see the benefits of this type of competition (putting everyone on an even level - just because a band has money for excellent instruments doesn't always mean that they will be better players) with the "peculiarities" of certain makes and models I would always prefer to play an instrument that I know - just in case the supplied instrument is one of those that has certain notes that don't really exist and you have to discover in the practice room (I played a Schilke sop that could only play G# on extended 3rd valve - standard 2&3 was disastrous)

Could be fun though - anyone fancy the Lark Banding Challenge?
    All instruments to be the 70's Chinese Larks - valves MIGHT move (probably not) and the instrument could easily just fall apart whilst you are looking at it.
    It would certainly add a new element to the contest
  17. animal.22

animal.22 Member

I do have to admit that the standard of perc supplied by Mr Payne is usually up to scratch if not excellent(unfortunately he can't be at all contests) but there have been incidences of kit collapsing on stage and also not being able to adjust to correct settings to suite different statures.

You also find that different drums and cymbals have different responces thus producing an alien feel on stage which is a totally unnerving experience to have to go through.

Please don't get me wrong, I am in no way advocating having to go back to supply your own kit, but it does seem we have to put up with the lesser of two evils while the rest of you don't. Bit of a begger really,mum allways said life was rarely fair.:-|
  18. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The only downside I can see is that the instrument may not be the same bore as some of the players are used to. This then realises the next two issues. Gob irons and mutes may not fit properly, or at all.

Admittedly this is not likely to be an issue in the upper echelons of the movement, but lower down it could.

Not sure if the OP was talking about all sections, or just top section, but there is still a chance that you could have someone playing on an B&H Imperial, with a kosikup (sp?) mouthpiece :dunno
  19. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Aww now u is getin teknikul :roll:
  20. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I is, but not seriously. I only know about therse things because I started at the bottom, and it was what was available. However, I'm sure there are a few around here who would be serious about these issues ;)