Superstitions in general

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I think I was inspired from the horoscopes thread which led me to ponder about superstition? Generally I'd say I'm not, but when it comes to seeing magpies it's a different story.
    If I see a magpie I have to salute it, if I see 6 all together I have to salute 6 times and obviously gold will come my way soon. I don't actually believe that bad things would happen if I didn't salute them, but if I see one I can't not!!
    Does anyone understand me? do you have any random animal body parts with you for good luck?!
  2. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

erm, unless my left arm is a random body part then no!

although i used to have a thing about manhole thingys
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

4. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

you couldn't touch them if there were two together, and thet take up the whole path here. yeah, sad.
  5. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

I would say that i'm not really that superstitious but somethings i have to do. Like you caroline, i don't believe that something bad would happen if i didn't do something but i still have to do it! I think i got it from my nana though, who has to be the most superstitious person i've ever met!! Whichever door she uses when coming into our house, she has to leave through the same one! And she won't put new shoes on the table as she says this is bad luck. There are many more but i'm sleepy and so not gonna list them all. I on the other hand cannot put up an umbrella inside :lol: And i think i would say that my ritual before i play is somewhat superstitious. I cannot play if i haven't done it!!
    I've never heard the salute the magpies one before! It seems a fun one!!
  6. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

If I ever detect my self being superstitious I deliberately do the thing that the superstition is telling me not to do, just to stick 2 fingers up to nonsense, unless it is something like walking under a ladder which is obviously stupid anyway.
  7. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

oooo neiltwist just reminded me. I didn't used to be able to walk on cracks in the pavement!! That one was annoying especially if there was nowhere else to walk that didn't have cracks or the pavements were busy :shock:
  8. mad_female

mad_female Member

As a midwife there are lots of little superstitions that we come across....I never write the date or sex of baby on the labels until baby is out even if the parents know what they are having. Other superstitions include...full moon busy night, tricks with a wedding ring on sewing thread to predict gender of baby...most people won't allow the pram/cot in to the house until baby is safely born and some don't let the newly delivered mum back in to the house until she has been "Churched".

Anyone else got wierd proffession related superstitons?

:lol: mad_female
  9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i don't open umbrellas inside... it makes it impossible to get out the door!
  10. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

No opening umbrellas indoors. No women allowed on fishing trips, and never where anything green on said fishing trips.
  11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Always like to sign on last at contests. Always wear same shirt / underwear for next game when City win! (Always washing them between games)
  12. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

The price of promotion eh mate? :roll: :twisted:
  13. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I'm the opposite of superstitious and will cross the road to walk under ladders, just to prove a point!

I do pick up pennies from the pavement - it must have paid for a few beers by now - but they don't seem to have brought me any additional good luck.

14. jambo

jambo Member

Magpies always get a greeting but only if they're by them self. I hadn't come across the new shoes on the table one till the other weekend, still don't get why its bad luck.
  15. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

I don't believe in superstition - I think it's bad luck.
  16. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Hey as a child I used to belive in this too. On a Saturday morning my Mum and I would walk over the Westminster Bridge in Ellesmere Port and the saying was 'step on a line and you marry a spider'. Daft as it may sound I can honestly say I never trod on a line! My husband is no creep - so it must be true that if you don't step on a line, you don't marry a spider!
  17. yea, at school we had a thing about not stepping on cracks in the pavement. something about them being snakes. can't really remember the reason at the time
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The reason you don't step on the cracks in the pavement is so that the bears don't get you :shock: :wink: :lol: - only thing is, there aren't so many traditional paving stones around any more: it's either just tarmac or else they're little tiny slabs :!:

I'm with straightmute in going out of my way to walk under ladders, and I've never once thrown a black cat over my shoulder when I've spilt the salt :oops:
  19. rutty

rutty Active Member

I've never been superstitious, and I never will be, touch wood ;)

20. good luck!! :lol: