Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Mar 8, 2005.

Which is your favourite supermarket?

1. Tesco (every little helps)

12 vote(s)
  2. Sainsburys (making life taste better)

5 vote(s)
  3. Asda (rolling back prices ...)

11 vote(s)
  4. Morrisons/safeway (more reasons to shop at morrisons)

8 vote(s)
  5. Waitrose (posh southern supermarket, I don't know much about)

2 vote(s)
  6. Somerfield (?)

1 vote(s)
  7. Marks and Spencer food (£££)

2 vote(s)
  8. Other

7 vote(s)
  1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Which one is your favourite?

I love tescos.

I'll add a poll, but if you feel you want to express a reason that would be great to know also.

I love tescos because....

I know where everything is, they do nice rolls, the fruit and vegetables are usually quite high quality (especially compared to Asda) and the value orange juice is the best to have with marmite on toast. Also it's not too expensive.

Over to you boys and girls. . .
  2. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

M&S all the way, it def has the best food out of all the options, and my parents are the ones paying! Best of both worlds.
  3. Jamie

Jamie Member

I'm a student... can't afford to go to Tesco!! Asda all the way for me!
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

We have a Tescos and Sainsbury's with in walkingin distance...I prefer Tescos because it is the cheaper of the two.
  5. groovy

groovy Active Member

There is great debate at school over Asda and Tesco, apparently Tesco is the posh supermarket but it's not. We use either though I prefer tesco.
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Tesco is the only decent supermarket within walking distance... it does good bread, cheese and waffles, so I guess they do a decent job. We've got a costcutter, which does do some amazing deals occassionally, but it's not very good for anything else...
  7. six pints

six pints Active Member

i voted asda cos my mam works there now. no asda on durham, so we do shopping in tesco when were at uni. plus iceland for the mega deals!!!
  8. rutty

rutty Active Member

I actually prefer the ASDA range to Tesco - the latter never seems to have everything that I want, even the Tesco Extra that's down the road, whereas I've always been impressed with the food in ASDA - especially the Deli counter. And it's cheaper (possibly).

Or Lidl for those odd little things that no-one else sells.

I actually shop in Sainsbury, because it's a 5 miniute walk and I can never be bothered to take the car to a bigger supermarket.
  9. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Somerfield! Somerthing Different! lol

Nothing to do with the fact I work there and get my staff discount of course! :)
  10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

ASDA for me...... or Spar shop for the simple stuff
  11. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

Both Tesco and ASDA have good gluten-free ranges. I have to say I prefer Tesco's pudding, but I like ASDA's service. Waitrose I remember as being very nice and apparently their gluten free range is extensive, though expensive too (guess what, I'm gluten intolerant). Overall though I would have to say LIDL! For cheap stuff, nice chocolate and veg, and the odd pair of slippers.

12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

ASDA mince is pants... can't make good spag bol with that stuff...
  13. Lisa

Lisa Member

Waitrose is the best (used to work there!)! Although it's too expensive for me most of the time. But the food is definitely the best quality - especially the fresh stuff. Its also the other side of town to where I live so I tend to go to Sainsbury's or Co-op instead. Co-op is great for 'buy 1 get 1 free' type deals but their fresh fruit and veg is rubbish and they are generally quite expensive. Sainsbury's is cool though - they have a much better selection of salad stuff and everything else really...
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Glancing through the replies so far, it's clear that we tend to be creatures of habit, opting often for a convenient store that we feel comfortable getting to and finding our way around.

I prefer Sainsburys, but I'm conscious that at least part of that is simply that the one I use is accessible by public transport, whereas a number of their rivals in this area are not. When we lived in Bolton we were quite happy shopping at Morrisons, and with them now taking over the Safeways opposite the Hadleigh hall, that's handy for picking stuff up on practice nights, or if I'm down there on Saturday.

I also used to use our local Somerfields, particularly on the way home from work, but don't do so very often now as they've brought their closing time forward to 8pm instead of 10, so I'm not normally off the train in time.
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I remember being mightily impressed with the only Waitrose I've ever been in but it's ridiculously expensive...Tesco for me all the way...although just one or two products are better elsewhere

Morrisons jumbo pork sausages and pork pies on the hot counter!!! unbeatable!!
    Asda's deli counter.

But overall quality and value it has to be Tesco

We once tried doing identical (or as near as we could) shoppings using as many own brands as poss between our local Tesco and ASDA, and Tesco came out about 11 quid cheaper on a £110 trolleyful.
  16. Jayboy

Jayboy New Member

17. NeilW

NeilW Member

We vary where we do the shopping - depends on lots of things...

Sometimes Morrisons (quite new/refurbished, and free parking and the quality is OK - much better than the Safeway branded store)
    Sometimes Sainsburys (prefer the quality of the food - usually, though they've definately got "supply problems" at the moment!)
    Sometimes ASDA (pass it when dropping off at school)

Don't like our local Tesco, as its old, jaded, and scheduled for demolition soon for a new town development.

Mind you all of them are 8 miles and a car ride away! Even the "local" is over a mile away with no pavements, so that's usually a car trip....

(feeling old in remembering Sainsbury's in Southbourne, Bournemouth where my mum used to shop being "converted" to a self service store from a "grocers"!)
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

While we're being nostalgic, what about Home & Colonial, Timothy Whites & John Collier (the window to watch!) - and before anyone starts, I know the last two were not food retailers :oops:
  19. I rarely go to supermarkets - usually indian run cornershops ... 29p for a can of chickpeas ... mmmm... and all the curry powder and chilli powder you'd need
  20. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

Got 2 say Morissons seeing as they pay my wages (Part -timer there) Although we split shopping between morissons and sainsburys and occasionally asda