Super E's...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jingleram, Oct 5, 2005.

1. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Hmmm, I seem to have trouble playing super E's, i can quite happily play super F's and G's, but i struggle to play a clean E, and struggle to hit the note itself, does anyone have any advice??

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trouble
    G's
    F
    anyone
    E
  3. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

What fingerings do you use - have you tried alternatives??

4. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Have used open, and 2&3, neither work for me, haven't tried 3rd yet though...Any tips?

5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Silly question but have you tried 1&2? Alternatively use 1 on its own, something to do with harmonics, or 2 on its own, although this is somewhat less aesthetic :rolleyes:

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... try using your 4th valve with either 3rd valve or 1/2!

7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I found that just by using 2 valve they were easier to hit

8. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Lol when i put 2&3 i actually meant 1&2, silly me!!

9. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

And as for the other suggestions, will try them tommorow!!

10. zak

zak Member

2nd valve on it's own is the best way i find and what most players i know use.

11. JSmith

JSmith Member

Agree; quite a few notes in the very high register speak well with the fingerings for a tone higher - dunno why. I'd definately avoid 4th valve in that register; the least amount of tubing possible is a winner up there for a clear sound and accurate pitching.

Also, try buzzing it just on the mouthpiece to make sure you're right on pitch.
    Another good way is (in one long note) to half-valve up to it and THEN stick down whatever valve (or not) you're using.
    Good luck.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trouble
    G's
    F
    anyone
    E
  13. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I had a similar problem with C#s, Ds were fine but C# wasn't. I found alternative fingerings to be the key, but also there might be an issue with technique.

Some notes you really can just "squeak" out, and super F is one of them, but E isn't. It might be worth trying some arpeggios in the upper register taking care to keep the breath supported and constant.

Good luck!

14. zak

zak Member

I agree but super E's have always been awkward to "middle" on every euphonium i have played on for the past 25 years so i wouldn't concentrate or worry too much about the technique side of things and just accept that they are a difficult note to pitch and middle on euphoniums. 2nd valve in my opinion and experience is definately the best way of hitting em.

Cheers

15. MICKTHEEUPH

MICKTHEEUPH Member

Use 2nd for a bright sound, 2 and 3 is better for tuning but not as clear. Practise chromatics C to F to C repeated, slow slurred crotchets at various volumes using fingering C=0, C#=2,D=0,D#=2,E=2,F=123. Treat this as a muscle building excercise, just a few minutes every other day, overdoing it screws up your lower register. As it gets easier over time concentrate on the tuning and the semitone intervals. The fingerings make the notes sharp so adjustment for tuning is more a relaxing of the muscles than screwing it on tighter. Gradually increase the range (B to F, A to F, etc.) then intervals (tones, thirds, etc.) over time. In time you'll have a top range like Dave Thornton, Mark Bousie or Dave Childs who were all class at the Open playing the squeaky stuff.

Mike

16. JSmith

JSmith Member

I also think part of the reason you're missing it is cos you're calling it the wrong name :D

Everyone knows you have Top C, D, E and F and THEN Super G (etc...).
    Just think of it as Top E and you'll be fine! Ho Ho... ;)

17. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I think Denis Wick used to have a series of exercises to help trombone players in their upper register. It involved simply playing pieces that were written in concert pitch, which meant that a Bb players top C was in the middle of the stave. That way it didn't look so high and helped conquer the player's psycological association with the notes.

18. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Yeah sounds good, but it isn't psychological, can go abov and beyond the note, but the E stands out as being one i can't play, have been trying 2nd as an alternative and it seems the best so far, but i am still going to need to do alot of practise to get it spot on. I originally asked becase a piece i want to play for an audition ends with an E, and it is really bugging me because i have enough lip left at the end of the piece to get up that high, but it sounds like i have a tired lip because i can't get the E to sound even!!! Arghh, thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming...