Sunday ROAST DINNER:Do You

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Sep 10, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

As your resident Butcher on here:biggrin:
    I would like to know when you have your Sunday Dinner with your meat and all the trimmings/Vegetables
    1 Do you eat all the meat first then the Vegetables
    2 Eat at random
    3 Eat the meat last

I eat the meat last iits the best bit:tup

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    DINNER
    Butcher
    bit
    Vegetables2 Eat
    biggrin
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You forgot the most important question, Ian:

What do you do with the yorkshire pudding?

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Eat it :clap:

5. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Eat at random........making sure to save enough roast spuds til the end to mop up the gravy with!

6. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I tend to wolf down the meat first. Its the best bit and I haven't got the discipline to save the best till last. Any meal without meat isn't proper. Really annoys me at christmas lunch when because my two sisters are veggies the stuffing isn't stuffed in the joint and the roasties are cooked in vegetable oil rather than the juices from the goose.

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'm pretty random but tend to go for the meat more than the veg anyway :p

Yorkshire Puddings Rock!!! :D :lol:

8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Which type of Yorkshire's do people prefer?

The individual crispy ones, the full oven tray softer ones or the giant yorkshire's filled with sausages and onion gravy (never had these till I moved to god's own county)

I like them all depending on how I feel.

9. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Meat second to last, before the parsnips for me!

I also eat all the veg separately i.e. eat all the peas then all the turnip and dont mix the veg at all. The only exception is that I occassionally eat stuffing with the roast spuds.

Igg

10. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

When I lived in Leeds for a while after coming out of the navy my brothers in law used to have a Yorkshire pud with gravy for starters!! A plateful mind you! Needless to say they were all built like brick *&%$%%"£*"

11. PeterBale

When my daughter and I were out for lunch with friends (she was about 9 at the time) she got quite concerned when presented with a plate of yorkshire pudding and gravy, and was only reassured once she knew the rest of the meal would follow - including more yorkshires!

Returning to the original question, I tend to start on the veg, providing it isn't over-cooked, but then usually ensure that there is both meat and veg left right to the end.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    DINNER
    Butcher
    bit
    Vegetables2 Eat
    biggrin
  13. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I tend to start with a piece of the meat, it is the best part of the meal (if it is good meat, of course) and a great way to start. Then the veggies get demolished, then back to the meat, combined with the spuds and Yorkshire pudding.
    Yorksire puddings come in such a variety of shapes and styles, but the crispy things are not good. Small and fluffy are the best, followed shortly by large and fluffy - anybody who ever buys frozen yorkshire puds should be shunned from decent society.

The thing I miss most from university days (Huddersfield:biggrin: ) is the local pub Sunday roast - a huge fluffy Yorkshire, filled with slabs of beef, gravy, spuds and horseradish sauce - bliss

14. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Start with a bit of veg, but thereafter it's pretty random.

My mother-in-law is really not the best cook, bless her, but one thing she can do (having been taught 55 years ago by her own Yorkshire-born mother-in-law) is Yorkshire pud. Sunday lunch always starts with Yorkshire pud with onion gravy. Then the meal goes downhill. Veg boiled to a uniform shade of yellow, and usually a Sainsbury's ready-meal-style "joint", with potatoes boiled to a watery mush or roasted to little black lumps.

She does make exceptionally good cakes though.
    BMB
    xx

15. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I know I've already posted but I had a further thought - does anyone else like roasted sweet potatoes with their Sunday Roast?
    I was given some of these a couple of years ago and they are now part of my Sunday routine, when I am in need of pampering.

16. andyp

andyp Active Member

Mmmm might try that one. Sweet potato is really good on top of shepherd's pie, too, with "normal" potato and cheese on top.

I eat meat + veg together and use yorkshires and potato to mop up all the gravy........mmmmmmm roast chicken tonight!

17. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Slab of large yorkshire with gravy for starters
    on main meal veg gets eaten first, then roasties, then small yorkshire, then stuffing and always the meat to finish. The whole lot has to be drowned in gravy.

My pet hate is people who put tomato sauce on any dinner covered in gravy. A few people I know do it and it's a disgusting habit

18. HBB

HBB Active Member

Cover it ALL in mint sauce.. so it takes away the horrible taste!

19. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

mmmm roast dinners! (Benny your weird! Roast dinners rock!) me mum makes a big tray yorkshire pudding mmmmm but only with roast beef obviously! I eat all the vegetables first (bestest bit!) then the meat (i'm really fussy with me and i won't eat it if its got fat on in :tongue: even if its only the midgest bit of fat! and roast spuds get left till last and get mashed into the gravy one by one mmmmmmmmmmm!! oh and I'm a gravy monster have to have the whole lot swimming in gravy!!

20. twigglet

twigglet Member

Mmmmmm I can smell my mum cooking one right now, I go for the big beef and roasties on a fork combo dunked in homemade meaty gravy..( none of that bisto tat) yum

21. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I can't make gravy. There. I've come out and said it. My mum used to make proper gravy with the meat juices and everything, but if I try it comes out as 2/3 fat with a piddly little bit of watery juice at the bottom. Not nice.

My life has been saved by Bisto tat on many an occasion...
    BMB
    xx

22. PeterBale

Meat isn't proper meat without a bit of fat - even if it isn't supposed to be good for the cholesterol!