Sunday Remembrance services

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

To all those bands partaking in Remembrance parades etc. today, I hope it went well for you and I hope the weather was kind to those that had to march outdoors (like Fulham BB!).

I must admit, I don't miss it. Not because I dislike the Remembrance services as a concept, but I invariably got press-ganged into playing Last Post and Reveille in years gone by, and although you don't have to worry about pressing down a single valve, I've always found those occasions extremely nerve-wracking, knowing (albeit to a limited degree) what it means to the veterans and their families that served in the war. I know it meant something to my former trumpet teacher at school Clifford Haines as we spent a whole hour's lesson on it (more 'interpretation' than 'not splitting'!) before my 'debut' Last Post many years ago.

2. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Jeez it was cold this morning!

Oh well, this may well have been the last Remembrance Parade I did with my current band so won't complain! But is it me or does the 2 minutes silence get longer each year?

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Funny you should ask that, John. When I've played Last Post/Reveille, I always took my watch to time the two minutes and get myself ready for the Reveille, only for the padre to nod to me to start off some 30 seconds or so earlier!

4. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Yer I thought the silence seemed longer this year. Wern't half cold though, just about getting the feeling back in my fingers and toes now!

5. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

I know what you mean about the Last Post, Dave - it's the most frightening thing to play, because the pressure not to muck it up and upset someone is huge.
    Still, this morning went well for us, and I've just about warmed up enough that I can feel my toes again!

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Well, I've survived only my second ever march with a bass. I was very relieved that Helen Honeyman had donated Al's baby Eb to the band - I was able to do the whole march and not be have chronic back pain at the end.

Tuning was a bit rough in places, but I'm not too concerned about that - gobs jumping up and down as feet hit the deck doesn't do much for a steady embouchure!

Simon D was silently cursing you for not being there to do the Last Post, Dave, but he did a great job.

This year at the memorial gardens we set up so the MD could see the clock, but the net result of that was that the sun was in the basses, horns, baritones and bass trombones eyes... will have to rethink that one.

Over all, though, it went very well, as did the sing along stuff back at the legion.

Very nice to see our supporters out for the day as well, Heidi, Chris's Mum and Dad, Barbara and all. Heidi was clicking away, and took some pics that hopefully will be up on the web soon. (Heidi also acted as music holder when my lyre snapped. (That's how cold it was!) So, thanks to her for that.)

It's very gratifying when the veterans personally thank individuals for coming along.

Will

PS for Dave - DP2 was woken this morning by a text from Andy Jackson in New Zealand - "Keep them triplets moving in Judex"(!)

7. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

I did it!
    last post and revielle (rouse)
    no band, just moi!

and i didnt split a single note, felt so nervous and hid behind my mates playing it.

thanks to everyone that thanked me and sed it was good, that was realy scary!

kell x

(bugelist as well)

8. impycornet

impycornet Member

Hmm.... Freezing cold & a 5-in-1 downhill slope !!

Not a good combination !!!

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I am actually rather sad to report that we didn't do our usual short march to an ever shorter service this year because the local British Legion has closed down.

Although the march and service were usually sadder each year as more and more of the old servicemen and women die, I found it extrememly sad that there was no service at all this year.

Who will remember them?

10. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I to played at a service of rememberance this morning, and i'm hapy to report that the parade, and the number of people at the cenotaph was much greater than usuall.

on a sadder note, one old gentleman that i usually see laying a poppy to remember his old comrades (for some reason he always reminded me of my grandad) was not present, unfortunately he passed away earlier in the year.
    What was nice to see was his grandaughter proudly marching in the parade, wearing his old hat and displaying his medals proudly on her chest. A moment that brought a little sadness to my heart, but also a feeling of joy that he and his comrades that he has remembered for all these years will not be forgoten.

We really will remember them.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Remembrance
    Last Post
    Fulham BB
    Reveille
    families
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

As long as the Royal British Legion at Fulham retains its autonomy, there will be some sort of remembrance service every November, even if it's the only one in the country.

And as long as the Fulham Brass Band is associated with the Legion, we will play.

Fulham's British legion will remember them and we in the band will remember them too.

In fact, I'll make a pledge in front of all you tMPers as witnesses - if I'm in the UK or a country that honours remembrance I'll attend remembrance every November, irrespective of whether I'm with a band or not.

Anyone care to make a similar pledge?

13. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I'll gladly make that pledge my friend, infact, I am booked to play last post in hadley indefinately so in efect i already have made that pledge.

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well, we did our usual parade this morning and apart from marching at Guerka pace to the church (I could only play 2 bars at a time and I was only playing the 2nd cornet part - ever get the feeling I'm getting past it??) it went OK I think. Perfect timing on last post - as our cornetist finished the last note the church clock started to chime 11 o'clock...bet we could never do that again :D

15. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Today was my first Remembrance Day as MD with Parr Band, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't too cold. We did a full church service, then marched to the Cenotaph, where we did another short service. It was very well organised with a fabulous turnout, (Rainhill in Merseyside by the way). We then marched to the Ex-servicemens club, where there was a scrumptious hotpot, full buffet, and a drink, all free. Parr Band then played a 45 minute concert to a full house, with lots of singing and jollity.

16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

My back hurts now and I'm sure will be worse in the morning (where is a good sousaphone when you need it).

Today was my first rememberance day. I performed at Welwyn Garden City with the WGC Band (I could do without the marching part) and I attended the Watford service later in the afternoon with cornetchap and the Watford Band providing the music.

I found both services quite moving (even though there were quite a few unneeded pauses - It seemed like there were inadvertently about 10 two minutes of silence)

I think part of the reason the services stirred me was because I have never been apart of anything like that. Because the United States was founded on the belief of keeping church and state separate I have never seen a public service. We have two holidays in the States to honour our soldiers: Memorial Day in May (for those who are no longer with us) and Veterans Day on Novemeber 11 for those that are still alive. I think without the wreath laying, the brass band, the prayers...some of the meaning is lost.

I know as time goes memories can fade, but I hope I don't ever forget the experience and feelings I had today.

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

We played at the service in Kidlington yesterday, and even a mad, power-crazed and out-of-tune organist and a 'Blessed-are-the-cheesemongers' type vicar couldn't fully disguise the power of the occasion. Our Last Post started off at exactly the same time as the church bells; quite surreal! 11 tolls take a surprisingly long time...

Then the march back, the afternoon lip-busting rehearsal and the evening concert for the British Legion. Lip is an interestingly abraded shade of purple now, and I might have got over this filthy cold that's keeping me off work today without it, but we all owe our debts to those who lived in a less fortunate time.

I know it is probably inappropriate to note this here, but:
    made me jump a little. Interesting how the US has become more religious while we have secularised.

18. andyp

andyp Active Member

We did our morning and afternoon services as usual, the afternoon service being outdoors as the war memorial at Mawdesley is by the side of the main road. It was pretty chilly, the wind whistles right through!
    Got through both Last Posts and Reveilles without any disasters, though. (just what you need for a bottom C start, a cold wind!).

19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

We did the rememberence service in Emley, unfortunately I came down with a really sore throat infection on the saturday so rather than risk mucking it up I relinquished last post duties to our flugel.

That's the first time in 18 years I haven't done a last post as I normally do it at the church local to where I used to live.

20. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Remembrance Day

Killamarsh was out at the village tribute and service yesterday which takes place in the afternoon. This follows a march to the church (a Scout band leads this) by mainly various uniformed bodies: St Johns, Scouts, Air & Army Cadets, cubs brownies etc.

The wreath laying takes place in the church yard as the War Memorial is on the church wall, one hymn (Valient Hearts), a prayer and last post. The band then accompany two more hymns in the church and the National Anthem; organist plays two also.

The attendance over the years has got considerable less with each year and if it wasn't for the youngsters in the various uniformed organisations going this would probably come to an end. It was a little dissappointing to note that the Army Cadet leaders decided not to attend the church service but nipped into the adjacent pub instead.

One of our cornets attends a tribute at the next village (Halfway) which simply has a hand full of British Legion members and a policeman to stop the traffic on the main road whilst wreaths are laid and the last post sounded; no service and very few people attending. Because our band plays in the afternoon are cornets attend numerous villages around the area to perform the last post.

This tradition is getting very tired in our village and I wonder if the people who run these things ought to consider how to give it some imputus and more relevance to those attending. Although the preacher did give his sermon an upto date slant by referring to Play Stations and fighting in the school play ground as an analogy of the pointlessness of war.

When he asked if anybody knew the reason why wars started the best answer he got was "Religon"; which probably does account for the majority of the 418 wars over the last 100 years (1000 or more people killed as a definition).

21. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Whitwell marched a grand total of 4 marches totalling 2.7miles including going up a 5 in 1 hill, played three hymns in a service at the village memorial and two at the chuch service, all in the space of three and a half hours.
    I have to admit, I do feel a lot fitter now because of it!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Remembrance
    Last Post
    Fulham BB
    Reveille
    families