Sunday Bandstand Weekly Radio Programme - 4 December 2016

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by ChrisHelme, Dec 4, 2016.

1. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Everyone

Well, there are but 20 days left to the Christmas holiday. Those still active brass band players will I am sure be busy most days with engagements of different kinds whether it is a full concert or playing outside your local shopping precinct.

I hope your preparations for Christmas are going well. Sunday Bandstand will have a show on December 18th and then on Christmas Day and on New Year’s Day.. I hope you can find time to tune in. There will be some wonderful seasonal music with some other old favourites as well. Don’t forget if you have a request or a question about the world of brass bands then please e-mail me - bandstand@chrishelme.org.uk - and I will be very pleased to hear from you even just to say hello and to hear where you are tuning in from...

Well-known for his compositions and arrangements, William Himes (born on March 28, 1949, in Flint, Michigan) has more than seventy publications to his credit. These, along with numerous manuscripts awaiting publication, are continually featured on international broadcasts and recordings.

Mr. Himes earned his Bachelor and Master of Music degrees from the University of Michigan. For five years he taught instrumental music in the public schools of Flint, Michigan, where he was also adjunct lecturer in low brass at the University of Michigan-Flint. Mr. Himes continues to be in demand as conductor, composer, lecturer, clinician and euphonium soloist and has appeared throughout the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and the United Kingdom.

One of his Christmas carol arrangements is on this week's show. Regular listeners will know one of his compositions / arrangements is on the show almost every week...

Playlist 4 December 2016

Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke

Opening for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

The Proclamation of Christmas - Stephen Bulla

North Carolina Brass Band (USA) MD: Brian Meixner - 2016

The Snow Carol - Philip Harper

The International Staff Songsters of The Salvation Army with the Cory Band MD: Philip Harper - 2016

Grandfather's Clock - George Doughty

Euphonium Soloist Glyn Williams with the Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2015

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Johnny Marks Arr: Robin Dewhurst

Darebin City Brass Preston Band (Victoria, Australia) MD: Andrew Snell - 2016

Festive Impressions - Oliver Waespi

Yorkshire Building Society Band MD: Professor David King - 2000

Two Canadian Christmas Carols - Morley Calvert

William Davis Construction Group Band MD: Keith Wilkinson - 1994

The Polar Express - Alan Silvestri Arr: Klaas van der Woude

Brass Band de Bazuin Oenkerk (The Netherlands) MD: Klaas van der Woude - 2011

Hark The Herald Angels Sing - Mendelsshon Arr: David Willcocks

Foden's Band with the Halifax Choral Society and organist David Battiwalla MD: Professor Nicholas Childs - 1998

Carol of the Bells -Mykola Leontovych Arr: Andrew Wainwright

Virtuosi GUS Band MD: John Berryman - 2012

Russian Christmas Music - Alfred Reed Arr: David Leppla

Brass Band of Battle Creek (USA) MD: Kenneth Bloomquist - 1994

A Christmas Overture - John Golland

Hannaford Street Silver Band (Canada) MD: James Curnow - 1997

The Debutante - Herbert Lincoln Clarke Arr: George Thompson

Tenor Horn Soloist William Rushworth with the JJB Sports Leyland Band MD: Richard Evans - 1999

The Kingdom Triumphant - Eric Ball

International Staff Band of the Salvation Army BM: Dr. Stephen Cobb - 2012

Over The Rainbow - Harold Arlen Arr: Ray Farr

Flugel Horn Soloist Matthew Vangjel with the Fountain City Brass Band (USA) MD: Dr. Joseph Parisi - 2009

Joy To The World - Traditional Arr: Darrol Barry

Middleton Band MD: Matt Stringer - 2010

John Williams - Epic Themes - John Williams Arr: Steve Sykes

Foden's Richardson Band MD: Thomas Wyss - 2003

Sweet Chiming Christmas Bells - Arr: William Himes

Chicago Staff Band of the Salvation Army (USA) BM: William Himes - 2011

Gaudete - Traditional Arr: Christopher Bond

Soprano Cornet Soloist Steve Stewart Cory Band MD: Philip Harper - 2016

Buglers Holiday - Leroy Anderson

Cornet players Karen Chamberlain, Craig Savage & Iain Mundy with the Dalkeith & Monktonhall Band MD: James Chamberlain - 2016

Caribbean Christmas - Sandy Smith

Yorkshire Building Society Band MD: Professor David King - 2003

Christmas Finale - Paul Lovatt-Cooper

North Carolina Brass Band (USA) MD: Brian Meixner - 2016

Rhythm and Blues – Philip Sparke

Closing for weekly show Foden's Band MD: Michael Fowles - 2010

Enjoy the show.....

Chris

2. David Mann

David Mann Member

I remember playing on the William Davis recording, Pebble Mill studios in a hot and un-Christmassy July.

3. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello David - Thanks for your message - you are right it was recorded 1st & 2nd July 1994 at Pebble Mill BBC Studios... it must have seemed strange two days of Christmas music in the height of summer. Interestingly I put a call out for any band's with Christmas CDs that might like to send me a couple of tracks. One CD in from North Carolina USA and another from Scotland and a third from Victoria Australia. The William Davis CD came from a regular listener in Switzerland - it's a small world...

Do you still play?

Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year...

Chris